What to look for in used dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

prodjbm

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a used dry suit so I can do some comfortable diving here in NJ and I was wondering what to look for while purchasing a used dry suit. I am very new to this sport and have no idea. I am thinking used since my dive trips will be very limited.

Thanks,
Bill

I hope that you're not tempted to buy by mail or on E-Bay or the like. A personal examination and test of fit for you is, I think, essential. Go for one of the major, well-known manufacturers, if you can. They have made it big because their products are sound. When you find a suit - first things first, make sure it's watertight. You will need to carefully tie the neck seal shut and place soda bottles or something of a suitable size in the wrist seals. Then use a low-pressure inflator to blow up the suit. Major holes, tears will make themselves immediately apparent. Smaller ones may take some time, or you may have to ask if you can 'dunk' the suit in a bath or tub to check for bubbles. If it's watertight, check out the dump valve (usually left bicep or wrist area) and inspect the suit for heavy wear. Have a really good look at the zip area. This is a vital seal. Be cautious about any patches or repairs if they don't look professionally done. Finally, before you part with the bucks, make absolutely sure that the suit is a good fit (remember you will be wearing insulating undergarments when you dive it). A good drysuit should be snug, but not tight. If you have a choice, go for a suit with self-entry features (a zip that runs diagonally across the chest). This will make life easier for you in the long run. Good luck - let us know what you finish up with.

Go over every inch of the zipper with a magnifying glass. If any of the teeth look crooked or funny then don't buy it. Replacing a zipper will set you back $200-300 depending on where you live and once a zipper is trashed replacement is the only way to fix it.

For the rest, look for modifications, patches, unusual wear and things like the condition of the soles of the boots that will indicate how much use and abuse it's had. I wouldn't say no to a suit that had a ripped seal or if the seals are too big. They're easily replaced for a reasonable price. Seeing a ripped or badly fitting seal might actually help you get a good discount from the seller.

Size is obviously very important. PUt it on along with the undersuit and make sure you ahve full range of motion. If you do a search you'll find some threads that tell you in detail how to check the size.

R..

Other than the obvious, like fit, check the zipper! Others have mentioned it, I'll mention it again. Holes in the suit are easy to fix, a zipper is expensive. Zipper material is made up of fabric with a rubber coating on each side. Zippers that have seen some use often have the fabric showing through where the rubber coating is worn away. This is really common with older suits. This wear is usually on the outside where the metal zipper (the part you pull) rubs against it. Sometimes the rubber on the inside of the zipper is "bubbled" out or peeling as well. -Guaranteed leak.

In addition to the above, I would think you should check into the age of the suit and try to find something that is fairly current. I think certain laminated suits have delamination issues as they age and the neoprene suits can develop a certain fatigue factor can they not?

I've never bought a used dry suit but I've been trying to buy a new one for three months now. After all I've been through in trying to get the right fit, and after all the posts I've read about guys trying to fix their super deal used suits, I can safely say that I would never buy a used suit unless I could test it first for fit and leaks. I don't know where one could do that or I would have done it.

I don't know how to post a thread but try going over to forums and looking under DIY, repairing your own gear. Look at the first thread there; Drysuit repair-wish me luck!

You can buy a new dry suit pretty cheap if you do a little research. It's cheaper than buying the used one and then having to buy the new one too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom