what to look for in BC/reg for UW photography?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

s.s.seafan

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking to buy BC/reg with UW Photography of coral reef and marine life in the tropics as my primary interest. What are the features I should be looking for in them?

thanks,

Jason

UWP specific reg, not so sure about that. As far as a BC goes, I dive/travel/shoot with a rear inflate, and is great for "hovering". CCR's are nice, too :D

i like the aqualaung i3 set up because it keeps the front area clutter free

Regarding the BCD, back inflation (wing) BCD's can help to archive a good, horizontal buoyancy and leave the front uncluttered.
Regarding the regulator, any second stage is in the way between your mask and the viewfinder,
bigger size second stages make this worster but main concern is ease of breath and good quality.
I use 2 Scubapro MK25 / S600 / R395 regulators and never had any issue with them.
Chris

I have three BC styles that I use for various circumstances depending on the dive. I always have a camera on me.

Backplate, no bladder- This is what I feel most comfortable in underwater. The freedom to move and the speeds I can achieve leaves me buzzing around almost as if I wasn't wearing a tank at all. However, there are some obvious downsides. First this is terrible for long surface swims since you have no flotation. Second, you need to be darn sure of exactly how much weight you need because there is no way to adjust buoyancy after you splash.

Backplate with bladder- Maybe I just need some more time with it, but I am not a fan of this set up. It keeps you trim and level which can be a big bonus, but I like to look around and when you have a camera, you want to shoot up which this set up doesn't seem to want to do. Another down side, I was on a job working on a net pen with my jacket BC amongst other divers who all had their back inflators. Nobody else had pockets in which to put tools and spare parts except me. I use Back inflators primarily if I am taking down doubles and use the jacket or straight backplate for everything else.

Jacket BC- This is what I learned on and what I am most comfortable wearing for most diving. I have a bare-bones Oceanic jacket style without any extra bells or whistles. It doesn't pretend to be a back inflator. It doesn't have integrated weights (I hate these things!). And it doesn't give me any more air bladder hanging off of me than I need to achieve buoyancy when properly weighted. It does have pockets, and I use them often.

I like my Oxy 18 BP/wing. It has a fabric plate and is very comfortable. Regulator, for photography NOTHING beats a double hose regulator. I use a custom Phoenix Aqua Master. You would be amazed at how much closer you can get to marine life before they turn and run and the constant battering of my ears as occurs with a noisy single hose is totally absent with a double hose regulator, quiet and smooth.

IMG_1353_edited-1.jpg

N

Basic rules apply. fit and comfort is #1.
Budget will be an issue too.
I Dive the Balance BCD that is rear inflation, compact and weight integrated. Very comfy and travels well. It als allows the second/octo integrated with the inflator (one less hose).
My reg is an Apeks XTX50. Kinda pricey but very adjustable and breaths very good inverted and in the other strange positions you end up in trying to get the shot.

I like my Oxy 18 BP/wing. It has a fabric plate and is very comfortable. Regulator, for photography NOTHING beats a double hose regulator. I use a custom Phoenix Aqua Master. You would be amazed at how much closer you can get to marine life before they turn and run and the constant battering of my ears as occurs with a noisy single hose is totally absent with a double hose regulator, quiet and smooth.N
Nemrod,

I notice in your picture that you posted, ( if that is you IN the picture), you have DiveOptx in your mask. How do you like ? I find myself at times, wishing I had a pair of reading glasses below, to read my Suunto and S90. I'm about to get some and put in. Your thoughts/observations ?

Nemrod,

I notice in your picture that you posted, ( if that is you IN the picture), you have DiveOptx in your mask. How do you like ? I find myself at times, wishing I had a pair of reading glasses below, to read my Suunto and S90. I'm about to get some and put in. Your thoughts/observations ?

Yep, that is I. I almost broke the camera, ugliness is not covered by warranty, :wink:. I cannot see up close anymore, getting old. Have good eyesight otherwise. I have three masks I use and all of them including both of my wife's masks have the stick-on lenses. They work fine and I have never had them come off but a good installation is critical. But, I would want a prescription mask and the Atomic Frameless is by far the best mask I have ever owned, heads and shoulders above all others. I have a spare now and I am wanting a prescription in it. Prescriptions change though but as eyes get weaker the stick-ons are easier to deal with. Way better than nothing.

Love my Titan LX regulator even though it does scare all the critters away, it is a good regulator.

N

Yep, that is I. I almost broke the camera, ugliness is not covered by warranty, :wink:. I cannot see up close anymore, getting old. Have good eyesight otherwise. I have three masks I use and all of them including both of my wife's masks have the stick-on lenses. They work fine and I have never had them come off but a good installation is critical. But, I would want a prescription mask and the Atomic Frameless is by far the best mask I have ever owned, heads and shoulders above all others. I have a spare now and I am wanting a prescription in it. Prescriptions change though but as eyes get weaker the stick-ons are easier to deal with. Way better than nothing.

Love my Titan LX regulator even though it does scare all the critters away, it is a good regulator.

N
Well, that's great info, and I appreciate it !! Thank you, as always. Have an awesome weekend :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom