What to expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oversea

Reaction score
I am doing my checkout dives in the second week of may up here on Long Island, NY. The water temp according to Noaa is about 47 degrees right now. Basically, am I going to freeze. I have a 5 mil hyperstretch suit W/ 7mil core warmer, 5 mil gloves, boots and hood. I never dove with a wetsuit before so I don't know how well they keep you warm. If I was not so anxious, I would holdoff abit. Its a prety broad question but if anyone has an experience to share, I'd love to hear it.
Thanks,
Justin

Assuming you mean a wetsuit that's 7mm in the abdomen and 5mm in the arms and legs, I think you're not going to have fun.

I don't mind 47F water a bit...

as long as I'm in a drysuit.

Otherwise....

I'd try to rent a full 7mm wetsuit and use a 5mm hooded vest underneath...

and get it over with quickly.

:eek:

My check-out dives were in water not that much warmer. I wore a 7mil fullsuit, gloves and a hood and was damn cold. I almost didn't get in to do my 4th dive. The biggest factor was that the air temp wasn't warm either.

The best advice I have is to get in the water, inflate your bc and bob around on the surface until you can breathe again and you stop being AS cold, then do the dive. It's not an elegant solution but it's the only one you have.

When you do your mask drills partially flood the mask, wait a second then remove it, the shock will be lessened that way.

The good news is, I've decided that those of us who certify in horrible conditions are cooler than those who run away to warm water. :D

Good luck and enjoy it!

Rachel

I did it in 60 degree water. Had a brief bout with Tourette's syndrome getting out of the water because of outside temp.
We filled coolers full of hot water and poured them down our wet suit before we got in....trust me IT HELPED. Getting out and changing was the pits. Drop your drawers and hurry up and get dressed.

Does this look like the face of a happy diver?

mars2u once bubbled...
.....Had a brief bout with Tourette's syndrome ....

LOL! That's a great line!

I did my open water in the same condition and I had lots of fun.
Even in mid August, it wouldn’t be much warmer.
Looking forward to welcome you as a new diver.

I was doing my last OW cert dive last year it the water temp was 59 at 50 feet. We had 7mm on and I got hypothermia. Was not a fun experiance afterwards. I got used to the water..or so I though..when I was in it but afterwards I just could not get warm.

Hey metridium, what I have is a Henderson Hyperstretch 5 mil suit. Over that I put a 7mil core warmer (like a farmer john) for a total of 12 mils on my torso and partial legs. Sorry for the confusion.

oversea wrote...
Hey metridium, what I have is a Henderson Hyperstretch 5 mil suit. Over that I put a 7mil core warmer (like a farmer john) for a total of 12 mils on my torso and partial legs. Sorry for the confusion.
Thanks, it's been awhile since I've shopped wetsuits.

It'll still be cold, but not as bad, I think. Plus your OW training dives will most likely be mercifully short.

:)

Let us know how it goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom