What to expect out of a DIR drysuit class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair, he was a new instructor at the time, and we're in Texas, where drysuit use is uncommon, so he had never taught the class personally. He was probably going from recollection.

I'll let him know, thanks!

No worries, just pointing out the PADI standards.

We ALL have a different view on training DS.
:wink:

If you did your T1 in a place where you can safely do such dives in a wetsuit, a drysuit is not required. The OP lists Singapore as one of his locations; he may well have done T1 with Gideon there, and many GUE folks there dive wet. Remember, run time on a T1 dive is mostly going to be in the vicinity of an hour, which is not excessive time in warm water.

I think the biggest difference I would expect between a standard dry suit class, and a GUE dry suit class, is that the GUE class would focus heavily on precise buoyancy control and trim, as well as pointing out to the student where the task-loading of the dry suit might impact his situational awareness. I would also expect the class to be thorough and include a lot of information about dry suits in general, their different characteristics, and their handling and maintenance. As with many classes, it would simply be more demanding and more extensive.

I understand it might be surprising to see a T1 certified diver asking about drysuits. As TSandM guessed, I was certified in South East Asia (Gideon) as that is where I was living at the time, and where I did most of my diving (in 30C, 86F). It is reasonably uncommon around the South China see to see people in drysuits, even in tech dives. The norm is wetsuits and alu80s (singles or doubles) for all the dives. It means that there is no community of people diving dry on a regular basis and with different tanks from which to absorb information. The result is a somewhat unbalanced "education". I want to accelerate the drysuit part of things as much as possible so I can go tech diving in colder waters so I was wondering whether a course would be good step. I realize however that what I would like to get is slightly different than other people. Essentially I would be looking for help with setting up the drysuit for tech diving and help in dialing in bouyancy and trim with heavy tanks+drysuit.

Also, thanks to those that have pointed links to drysuit course reports. Those are great resources.

I see, this is why I was confused. Well I would say if you went with GUE training already why not stick with it. The instructors would be able to provide with the training you need to have to execute the tech dives. I would definitely skip the PADI program as it does not cover most of the fine details. At least my did not. I had to learn most details as I dove with GUE trained folks including an instructor.
Personally it took me a hundred of dives to make it the second nature. But I was also a new diver when I started. 95 % of my diving is in a dry suit.
You can start diving the DS without training although the trainkng can definitely accelerate it.
I would start diving in an average single tank, say al80 bpw where you do not need the wing for buoyancy management and can only use DS/lungs. Nail down ascends then switch to doubles and nail it down, then only add stages. The last parts should not be an issue for you as you already know how to manage the wing.
Timed ascends I find is the most difficult part.
Im no way experienced as some guys here on the board but thats what I would do.

Pay attenrion where the exhaust valve is placed. It should be on the outside of the arm like on DUI TLS 350 or Whites fusion, not on the biceps like on Bare suits. If its on the biceps its more difdicult to manage- you have to "chicken wing" the arm.
Calf area shoul be tight whn you wear your undergarment. The tighter the less air would escape there. The same is with theboots. I hope I do not need to say that with that tightness your undergarment should still work :) and you shouk ve able to put yor feet through. The thiner the undies that still work for your dives the better. The undies should keep warmth even when fludded I found compressed thinsulate works the best for me.

As a UTD DM I can answer this one :) I learned to dive dry through NAUI and wish I had through UTD (or GUE). The primary difference is that we compenstate via the wing. The drysuit is only used to manage the thermal comfort. In addition, there's emphasis on ascents, decents, and knowing when to begin venting on ascent to keep from corking. We also learn that it's okay to break trim in order to vent if you need to :) There's also more emphasis on inflation failures than what I received in my NAUI class.

But the class doesn't require you to be a UTD or DIR diver.

Pay attenrion where the exhaust valve is placed. It should be on the outside of the arm like on DUI TLS 350 or Whites fusion, not on the biceps like on Bare suits. If its on the biceps its more difdicult to manage- you have to "chicken wing" the arm.
My CF200 has a bicep dump, I know of at least four people that have the same and take issue with it (including myself). The bicep dump is much harder to use.

We also learn that it's okay to break trim in order to vent if you need to :)
This is probably the best tip for someone who is transitioning/learning to dive a drysuit while diving in trim. +1.

As a UTD DM I can answer this one :) I learned to dive dry through NAUI and wish I had through UTD (or GUE). The primary difference is that we compenstate via the wing. The drysuit is only used to manage the thermal comfort. In addition, there's emphasis on ascents, decents, and knowing when to begin venting on ascent to keep from corking. We also learn that it's okay to break trim in order to vent if you need to :) There's also more emphasis on inflation failures than what I received in my NAUI class.
I teach through NAUI ... and do my class pretty much as you just described.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I teach through NAUI ... and do my class pretty much as you just described.

It always goes back to "it depends on the instructor". I do have in my notes, however, that he specifically stated that NAUI recommends using drysuit as buoyancy and so he stuck with what was recommended. The extend of ascents was making sure I didn't lose control from 20 ft. But the ascents I'm talking about with UTD (and presumably that you're talking about in your classes) is much more fine-tuned and geared towards hitting arbitrary (pre-determined ascent strategy) stop depths on demand, consistently without losing control.

There is not a very strong NAUI presence where I live. Just a few independants or the LA COUNTY folks. Everyone here is PADI or SSI mostly.

It always goes back to "it depends on the instructor". I do have in my notes, however, that he specifically stated that NAUI recommends using drysuit as buoyancy and so he stuck with what was recommended.

I'll quote from NAUI's drysuit instructor materials ... page 8 ... item 23 ...

"Add just enough air to your dry suit to maintain neutral buoyancy. The suit should feel as though it is hugging you gently all over."

What NAUI recommends is that you explain to the students that proper weighting is essential for drysuit diving (page 7, item 19). In the context of a diver using a single cylinder, there is little to no difference between using wing or drysuit for buoyancy if you're properly weighted. By the time you've lofted your undergarment, you should be neutrally buoyant.

Context is everything ... I've heard of Andrew G recommending adding more air to drysuit for warmth management ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom