What to expect on OW cert dives....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

appygirl82

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all!

I just completed my first pool session last night! The course normally involves 3 pool sessions and then the 2-day OW cert dives (Oct 13/14th). I was sick last week so I did a make-up session last night and essentially did 2 sessions in one. My dive buddy was also doing a make-up session too. We both seemed to be naturals and were able to master most mandatory skills with ease (flood mask, remove/replace/clear mask, share air etc). Of course we both had typical newbie challenges (buoyancy etc) but I felt really good when we finished. Our instructor told us several times that we both seemed to be naturals and picked up on things quite nicely. I have one more pool dive next week and then OW dives.

I am naturally a very nervous and anxious person when it comes to upcoming events. Basically performance anxiety. Can you all give me some tips on what to expect during the OW dives? Things I should be studying up on or more difficult things I may be asked to perform?!

Thanks so much :)

Your OW dives will simply be performing the same skills you've done in the pool, however you will be expected to perform them in open water. Depending on where you are doing them, it could mean different things as open water may involve currents, visibility differences, temperature changes, etc. It may also be very very similar to a pool. It will also involve actual diving, instead of simply performing skills all dive. Most instructors will begin dives with skills, end with some actual diving, and may or may not require some surface skills at the end. They will brief you on everything you have to do and how the dive will go.

The biggest difference will be that skills will be performed at a depth greater than typical confined water (pool) depths. For some people, this can cause anxiety. However, the skills are really the same.

I am also a bit nervous because I am from the Pacific Northwest and we are diving up in Puget Sound. The water will be COLD!!!!

It's just a bigger colder pool. Have fun!!!

Remember it's not a race and if you need to repeat a skill, do it. Just keep breathing and enjoy yourself!

I am also a bit nervous because I am from the Pacific Northwest and we are diving up in Puget Sound. The water will be COLD!!!!

Under all that thick neoprene you will likely be plenty warm, it is the surface intervals that can get chilly.

You will have different buoyancy with the wetsuit on vs. the pool. And so you will wear a bit more weight. Your instructor will likely give you a "little" slack doing OW vs. in the pool. And nervous is more common than not.

Once you have completed your first dive, you "may" be a little more comfortable with the unknown. That is what causes the "nerves".

It's all a mental game. Truly!
As noted above, you won't be doing ANYTHING you have not done before in the pool.
The difference is the same difference you will encounter any time you go to a new dive site: the unknown.
But it's just a mental barrier: colder temps perhaps; a new wetsuit perhaps.
But your instructor should have briefed you on all the differences you can expect, either well in advance, or in the dive briefing just before you splash.
Remember, your instructor isn't out to have you fail - they want you to succeed! That said, the failures are mostly mental. In other words, students don't do well in Open Water only when they can't translate what they have learned to a new environment, or if they haven't learned their basics. Just fall back on what you have already been taught.
My best advice? Go slow! Descend slowly so you can equalize fully. That stops a lot of problems in advance. Don't rush your skills. Especially the oral inflate to hover at the bottom, if that's part of your program.
And don't worry about the emergency ascent! The air in your lungs will expand, and you can blow tiny bubbles all the way to the surface. Then kick up and orally inflate your bcd. Piece of cake!
The mask clearing and reg recovery are just colder and poorer visibility. No big deal. It's all mental.
Navigation? Determine your heading, and then look out ahead of you as far as you can see. What landmark is on that bearing? Kick toward that and count kick strokes. Don't look at your compass again until you reach that landmark. That'll get rid of errors induced by a slight current. When you reach the kick stroke count, stop! Take your time and determine your reciprocal course by whatever method you were taught. Then do the same thing in reverse. Look toward home, on the course you have determined is reciprocal. Find a landmark and kick toward it. Then find the next landmark on the same bearing. Count strokes until you think you're home, then stop! Look around, and I'll bet your goal is in sight.
Don't rush.

The only additional comment I would make.

If you can, ask to practice with gloves and hood in the pool if that opportunity is available.

As has been stated, the open water element is a repetition of the existing skills in a new environment. Diver training is mostly about progression. Teaching you a skill in the shallow end - then the deep end - then open water shallow - then open water deeper. Or building the complexity of a skill slowly, again, starting shallow and moving the skill deeper.

Wearing gloves can make a simple task a little more difficult. (Try threading a needle in baking gloves :) ).

As someone said. Most skills work if you do them slowly and progressively.

If you can, ask to practice with gloves and hood in the pool if that opportunity is available.

I heartily agree with this. And take your time - it's not a race, and you're the customer who's learning new things. You'll do fine then begin a fantastic hobby.

As said above, it is the same skills but in a bigger & colder pool.

Best advice I can give is take your time when doing skills. The only requirement is that the skill is done properly not quickly.

Back
Top Bottom