What to do with "stuff" when diving...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i didn't, but i wasn't really concerned at any of the sites i was at mainly because there were several other trucks and i didn't leave anything overly expensive in the truck . i did drive past something that looked like 'robbery operation' mainly 3 kids with one hiding behind trashcans and one sneaking over to trucks...but they may have just been playing. i just didn't get a vibe of a criminal enterprise environment at any point on the trip...i would also be very surprised if anything would be stolen if it was bike locked tot he steering wheel, so i think it would work...i suspect any opportunistic thieves were likely on foot or scooters, so no chance they would have cutters......in short...i didn't have the requirement to carry all of my battery packs etc with me and i left general smelly dive equipment in the truck, but i wouldn't be worried unless i was carrying something i would be generally upset to lose...

Has anyone on here had their window broken? Did you have full insurance? I seem to remember renting a car in another country where tire damage wasn't covered by any of the insurance. I'm wondering if that's the case with windows and full insurance in Bonaire. Did you hit up your credit card for insurance coverage if the damage wasn't covered? Last - did you get charged for "loss of rental" while the vehicle was being repaired?

I did on my third visit to Bonaire. Rented through Hertz with the full insurance. After spending 20 min at the police station filing a report, took it to hertz and had the whole vehicle replaced minus a small deductible.

We were at Tolo and although I knew not to roll windows up, it was raining so I rolled them and up but left it unlocked. However, I'm guessing the 10-second smash and grab with a coral rock was an act of chance to see if the bag they swiped had anything of value...it did not not. Just an air-chuck/scuba tank inflator for the tires, an empty dry bag and my fix-it box. Now, I keep the windows down even if it's raining...not that the vinyl interior cares much.

For the record - I always take some cash, my DL and my CC down on the dives with me along with the mechanical truck key. I don't bother with trying to keep them dry...they are secured in a zip-up pocket in my swim shorts. I wash the CC, DL and key down with fresh water after every day and I've never had an issue with them not working.

I was there last week, and didn't end up using the bike lock. The sites I dove were busy enough with other divers where I didn't think any thief would dare attempt anything. I did do Karpata at about 5:30pm one evening when the site was deserted, and saw a teenaged local on a bike as I came out of the water, but he vanished and nothing in my vehicle had been touched. I did my best to limit leaving anything of value in the truck.

I have an old Ikelite Aquashot 3 housing (originally designed for the old disposable film cameras), and I realized it would work well for holding cash, keys, cert/drivers/credit cards, plus a small tool kit, during my dives. I decided it was more depth trustworthy than one of the Otterbox dry boxes etc., and it didn't leak a drop.

Has anyone used a ziplock/clamp pocket that surfers use? You hang t around your neck. It’s advertised for smart phones but Id take the truck keys, money, etc in it diving.

Has anyone used a ziplock/clamp pocket that surfers use? You hang t around your neck. It’s advertised for smart phones but Id take the truck keys, money, etc in it diving.

Little dry box has worked well for years and costs is very low. Clips to a D ring. Never leaked. Floats (does not drag on reef).

Holds my glasses, truck key, credit card, drivers license, and cash.

Scuba Choice Scuba Diving Snorkeling Cylindrical Dry Box with Clip, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UKNLBY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_AKstd7yK59ZiJ

Same drawbacks as other safes/lockboxes: (1) it takes up luggage weight; and (2) it says "I have something inside worth stealing." Nevertheless, I agree any sort of lockbox would work in Bonaire because these are crimes of opportunity by people who aren't carrying around boltcutters.

I use one while boat diving just as a splash guard for my iPhone. I have tried 2-3 of the things and they always leak. A little test I did at home was to put a piece of toilet paper inside then weigh it down in the bathroom sink overnight. Toilet paper would always be wet!
I would never trust it underwater with a phone in it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom