What to do with patches

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New here and just got my husband certified. We did our first dive together a few days ago at Rainbow River in Florida.

To commemorate it, we bought patches that say Rainbow River with the state of Florida and the diver down flag. My question is what does everyone do with their patches? Do you put them on your dive bag or what? I'm not one to put patches on jackets or other clothing and was thinking a backpack that holds some of my gear.

Looking forward to hearing what others have done.

Thanks!

June

I have some unusual ones, but just keep them all in the drawer, don't want to advertise my bags as dive gear. Thought about putting on my dive suit, or maybe one on my hat. Backpack sounds good.

I used to be a patch guy (I had a sweet denim jacket in the mid 80's that was covered with patches from places I had been), then I moved to stickers, now I'm more of a tee shirt guy.

That being said, I still like patches when I can find them. I usually sew them on my gear bag, kinda in the vein of the old steamer trunks.

I used to 'patch' my gear bag back in the 80's. Now any patch I get (I don't buy any) is put in a filing cabinet and I will write about the places in my log book and take pictures.

There's an old diving joke, don't take it personally, you should do whatever feels right with your patches.

"There's a diving disease going around ... it only effects new divers. It's called emblemism. The primary symptom is that they break out in patches.

I've got a bunch from random places and various leadership certs and what not. Leadership certs I couldn't tell you where they are. Some of the places are one of my wings. It was an old Rec wing so had a lot of real estate. Looks pretty slick now. Can't say I dive with it, it lives on the wall... Drysuits are fairly common spots to stick em, backpacks are pretty cool
I'm a t-shirt guy though...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom