What to do near Playa besides diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive&Ski

Reaction score
We're doing a Mayan Riviera vacation in February and are looking for some "don't miss" sights and activities besides diving. We're spending a week in Playa before heading to Coz. We're planning on spending 2 days diving the Cenotes, 1 day in ocean, and the rest seeing the sights. We're definitely going to Tulum and Coba and maybe the Chichen Itza. What other sights are not to be missed in the area? Any recommendations on food (we love authentic ethnic food)? Thanks.

Your list of dives and activities sounds good. I might not go to all of the archeological sites you mention. Pyramids are cool to see as well as Tulum. For food, don't miss going to El Fogon in PDC. There are several, one across from Mega stores. Good authentic Mexican food, etc., complete with a sidewalk side "atmosphere". Have a great time!

Mayan Ruins, Cenotes - CHECK.

Xel-Ha is a huge park with lots of things to do including snorkel
Akumal is a village type area (great place to look around and have lunch...maybe snorkel)

If you go to CI, be sure to check out the town of Valladolid. A very nice old town that is not touristy at all. Also, be sure to go to the ruins at Ek Balam. Been to all the ruins you have mentioned and Ek Balam is the only one worth a return trip. Go to Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info and look under the trip planning tab. Their tours are excellent. Get the Riviera Maya and Playa maps from www.cancunmap.com. Worth their weight in gold and will save you tons of time and money. Without a doubt the best guides for the area.

El Fogon is VERY good and right next door is HC Monterey. Between the two I like the Arracherra National at HC best.

Last edited:
For an all-day excursion, check out Alltournative - I have used them twice. They have different trips - Coba Mayan ruins, cenote snorkel, jungle zip-line, Mayan village for lunch, kayak and snorkel in lagoon, etc. They do the driving, which I prefer in this region. Alltournative - Off Track Adventures You can do Ixcaret, of course. The big "history of Mexico" show at the end of the day at Ixcaret is quite a spectacle.
We really like La Cueva Del Chango restaurant in Playa - on 38th St. between 5th Ave. and the ocean.
The playa.info website driftwood mentioned is a good resource.
Not that you asked, but I use Tank Ha in Playa as a dive shop/guide. They are very professional and safety-conscious, with newer,small boats and limited numbers of divers.

Spend a day walking the beach of Tulum. Hit all the little restaurants and bars along the way. Incredible beach. Also spend an afternoon on Xpuha beach. Beautiful.

The Altournative tours are also very good, small groups, a lot of varied activities but more packaged and less personal than the Playa tours. You cannot go wrong with either one.

BTW, the beaches south of Tulum are straight out of a postcard. Nothing but sand, water, wind and palm trees.

Like Driftwood mentioned.... Beaches south of tulum are the absolute best, El Pariasio is awesome. For snorkling... Right south of Akumal, on the coast road about 1/2 mile down is Half moon bay, best snorkeling in the region IMHO. Also...another 1/4 mile down from there, a more secluded water park, Yal Ku. Get there at 7am, fantastic snorkling until the droves arrive around 10, plus it only costs $8.

Retsaurants in playa....Im a simple guy, gimme goooood tacos and Im happy:D, which means Carboncitas. Zenzies at night is a nice spot for 2 :wink: If you do Coba....rent a car for the day. I left at 6:30, got there at 5 to 8 (opened at 8). First one in the park, rented my bike, and zipped thru in a couple hours. Left right when all the tour buses arrived at 10 :) It's awesome when you have the jungle to yourself.... it just felt more...real I guess without all the bus loads of peeps...LOL. :D I've yet to go to Chitzen Itza...thats a lot of road time...

Another lil nugget... I like researching, the Loco gringo website has great aerial shots of the whole coast that come in quite handy:wink:

Have a great time!!!

Greg

Greg made a good point, early is the key. First, getting the snorkeling in early is the way to go at Yal Ku, once the tour vans show up the water gets pretty 'oily' when the fresh and salt water gets mixed up. Second, early at any of the Mayan ruins is gold.

CI or Ek Balam is a long drive (a 12 to 14 hour day) from PDC and the sun at all the ruins can be brutal, when all the tour bus's show up, around noon. If I were to do CI again there are only two ways to go. First, get a room in Valladolid at http://www.mesondelmarques.com, enjoy the town that afternoon and see CI early in the morning. You will still have time to see Ek Balam on your way back to Playa and I will guarantee you that you will have more pictures of EB than CI. Second, fly from PDC to CI. the most expensive way to go but you will be back in PDC by 2pm. If you decide to see either CI or EB in one day, take a tour. On your own, spend the night in Valladolid.

Perfect beaches, Tulum will not disappoint you but Akumal Bay is not bad and the snorkeling can be exceptional. There are a couple of resident turtles that hang out in the north end of the bay and if you are lucky, there is a resident bait ball of silversides in the bay.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom