What to do if you test positive before flying home?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow.. maybe a mod could split the discussion of infection rates and blatantly political stuff off into a pub thread? None of that contributes to coming up with a plan, or ideas for one, or some kind of return plan template.

Well, I think statistics matter for Cozumel travel. I know we got vax in January/February and bought tickets as soon as the vax had time to set. (and came back and went again) What's going on now interests me for more Coz travel.

Also, the article doesn't really share what to do during the two week wait. Are hotels plentiful enough that you could get a room with no notice? Would the hotel even be willing to let you stay there with covid? Are you going to have to sleep on a bench out by the ferry terminal at night?

It sounds to me like something that's likely to be shockingly expensive, and there's no clear "right" way to do things once you get that positive result.

All things that should be thought of and planned for... in my opinion.

Well you want to hear about what happens you come up positive? I think she must have shown up with it....

Facebook Groups

The impediment would be (to get back to what the OP was asking about) "what if" one winds up with a positive test before flying home - what are people doing if they all of a sudden are required to stay in MX for an extended period of time that wasn't planned for? For all who have been to Cozumel during the pandemic and those going in the near future, it boils down to, is it a risk one wants to take - if so what can one do to be better prepared?
Agreed - given that it appears that vaccines won’t prevent you from contracting/carrying the virus and testing positive (not a false positive), anyone who ventures outside of their country at present needs to be prepared to deal with the implications of an extended stay at their destination.

Recovered plus vaccinated may be better than either recovered or vaccinated. That's simply addition. By the same logic, Moderna vaccinated plus JJ vaccinated is probably better than either one alone so why not a push for double or triple vaccination?

Collect'em all .... Moderna, Pfizer, J&J, Novavax, Sputnik, Sinovac (+++ afterall it was created there) But the REAL key is make sure you have had and recovered from Covid first before receiving all the above since those reported links say that it's really even better.

Well, I think statistics matter for Cozumel travel. I know we got vax in January/February and bought tickets as soon as the vax had time to set. (and came back and went again) What's going on now interests me for more Coz travel.
I didn't say that they didn't matter, just that they're not relevant to planning for what to do when you test positive. The thread isn't about statistics, it's about "What to do if you test positive before flying home."

Agreed - given that it appears that vaccines won’t prevent you from contracting/carrying the virus and testing positive (not a false positive), anyone who ventures outside of their country at present needs to be prepared to deal with the implications of an extended stay at their destination.

Exactly. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. It's a " no argument" scenario. Either don't go or figure out a way to make sure you get back.

Facebook Groups

This was a families experience staying at the cozumel palace. It's on cozumel for all no rules.. he said that they promised they would take good care of them if someone tested positive then they were treated horrible when his daughter tested positive.
Sorry if this was shared already.

Agreed - given that it appears that vaccines won’t prevent you from contracting/carrying the virus and testing positive...
Granted, but I don't think we know if being vaccinated reduces your chance of becoming a carrier somewhat, a little, or not at all.

I strongly disagree. Public health authorities have answered all questions to the best of their ability given the data at hand. Remember, this is a novel virus. We don't know how long natural infection confers immunity because we've only been in this pandemic for a year and a half and because we have multiple variants which have circulated in that time. We do know, however, that people who were infected with COVID should still get a vaccine for greater protection. There have been no vaccine mandates, at least not from the government. Although the government has the authority to do so if necessary (look up the Jacobson decision). Some people might be swayed by full FDA approval, so hopefully that comes soon. But for those who say this vaccine is still experimental, etc., that's just wrong. Hundreds of millions of people worldwide have been given these vaccines, and they are safe and effective. The side effects are generally minor, and even the more serious ones are incredibly, incredibly rare.

The main problem is that, for a sizable percent of the population, there is no amount of data, information, or assuaging that will convince them to get a vaccine. These are folks who do not want to wear masks, do not want to social distance, do not want to get vaccinated, and want to pretend that the whole pandemic is just a hoax and not nearly as bad as people say. Until they land in the hospital on a ventilator. Then they have a change of heart and say that they wish they had gotten vaccinated.
I have had a hard time finding data that shows how long immunity from having had covid lasts, and data on how long vaccine immunity lasts. I assume you have that data from your post. Please share it. I assume you can also share data showing how much the vaccine improves the natural immunity from having had covid?

I posted on that. There are cavets on 'as easily as unvaxxed'. I think that become one of those things where people like to say that "Oh well its the same" and it really maybe isnt.

And I am not saying they SHOULD drop it, I am just saying that producing privileges for the vaxxed is probably more helpful than many other things.

I requote:

"
The new data says that a fully vaccinated person who experiences a breakthrough infection can spread the virus just as much as an unvaccinated person. Is this only for symptomatic infections?
It’s expected that symptomatic breakthroughs are more contagious than asymptomatic breakthroughs.

When extrapolating, it is critical to understand that this study is derived primarily from one major site in which the activities and the settings that were leading to infections are not necessarily representative of the day-to-day life of a fully vaccinated individual."

New Data on COVID-19 Transmission by Vaccinated Individuals
From your link "
What is known about the rate of breakthrough infections vs infections among unvaccinated people?
There’s a difference between breakthrough infections and breakthrough disease.

Breakthrough infections occur when a fully vaccinated person tests positive for the SARS-CoV-2 virus. Breakthrough disease occurs when a fully vaccinated person experiences symptoms of COVID-19 disease."

There can be no valid CDC data on breakthrough infections because the CDC is not counting vaccinated covid cases unless hospitalized or dead.

So far, it seems that people infected with SARS-CoV-2 in 2020 had a 2.34 times greater chance of reinfection compared to those who were fully vaccinated. Reduced Risk of Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 After COVID-19...

You could always just google this information yourself if you were truly interested in being well informed before making your vaccination decision.
"As of May 1, 2021, CDC transitioned from monitoring all reported vaccine breakthrough cases to focus on identifying and investigating only hospitalized or fatal cases due to any cause. This shift will help maximize the quality of the data collected on cases of greatest clinical and public health importance."

Why did the CDC stop counting mild and asymptomatic "breakthrough" COVID cases?

Kind of hard to compare fully vaccinated with not vaccinated accurately if you don't count most of the vaccinated cases.

Back
Top Bottom