what to buy...need help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am so lost when it comes to camera packages..... so many options...so little time to research so off to the experts. I have a budget of $1500 and would like a nice camera system. We are going to Domican Relublic in August, Little Caymen in December, Bonaire in April and want ( need) a nice underwater camera system. I have over 400 dives under my belt so i am not a newbie. So if it were you what would u buy or suggest? Thanks for your suggestions!!!!! Bill

I am so lost when it comes to camera packages..... so many options...so little time to research so off to the experts. I have a budget of $1500 and would like a nice camera system. We are going to Domican Relublic in August, Little Caymen in December, Bonaire in April and want ( need) a nice underwater camera system. I have over 400 dives under my belt so i am not a newbie. So if it were you what would u buy or suggest? Thanks for your suggestions!!!!! Bill

Well first off, how much is your budget? I would start off with a nice Point and Shoot system. Do you know that much about photography? Olympia has a nice setup. Also, how good of pics do you want? You can always get a sealife setup. Strobes is what will cost a lot as well.

Olymous pen with an Olympus housing and a Sea & Sea strobe, select a tray and arms to suit.
Something like Olympus E-PM1 camera & underwater housing bundle, best deal ever on an underwater camear | Bluewater Photo & Video
Add a strobe and tray with arms should be well within your budget.
Wide andgle and macro options are available, at a price but no one said umderwater photography was cheap.

Otherwise go for a point and shoot, something like a Canon G16 with a Canon WP-DC52 housing.
While you can start with the inbuilt flash Ok to about 2 ft, anything more than that and you need a strobe. It is a lot more to carry and get used to but it is worth while if you intend going any further than snaps.

p.s Shoot in raw and sort out white balance etc afterwards. You are going to want to post process these pictures it does make a huge difference.

Have a look at
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/479014-march-22-bohol-pics.html
It's more to do with the photographer than the kit, all his pics are that good.

Take a look at the SeaLife DC1400. It's really an excellent system at a good price point. You can buy it in various configurations but, if you go all out and buy their Sea Dragon Maxx Duo, you'll spend about $1800. However, that version comes, literally, with everything. All the batteries and chargers (two camera batteries), card, lights, moisture munchers, etc. If you need it, it's in the Peli box the thing comes in.

And, if you're in Bonaire at Buddy Dive, stop by and visit John at their camera center. He's an excellent resource and will help you with settings and suggestions for better results. Since he's a SeaLife dealer, he doesn't even charge for that consultation (if you have a SeaLife camera).

You'll have the RAW image v. JPEG debate forever if you want it but, with a 14 megapixel image and the excellent photo editing software available today, a .jpg will do just fine.

Oh, and it's built as an underwater camera in the first place, not a land camera in a housing. I've had several of those an my results are better with the SeaLife. Just something to consider.

I refer to my previous you can't advice on equipment without a more precise idea of objectives type of diving you do general experience in taking picture. There are many good shops it is best to call in and avoid expensive mistakes

Thanks! I am pretty much a novice taking underwater pics. I had a older SeaLife camera but it flooded. I am looking for a system that will last me for at least a few years. We love the colors and life on reefs and want to bring home memories. My budget is not huge and hoped that there would be a good system that could be upgraded as my expertise increases. I do not want to spend $750 and then want or need an upgrade in a year or two. I have looked at the SeaLife 1400 but have heard some not so positive reviews.... mostly about lag time. My local shop has not proved to be a good resource. I would really like to buy a entire system at one time. I do know the importance of strobes. I anticipate more still pics but would like some versitility for movies. Yes it is more about the person not the equipment but you do need a good platform to start from. I do like the sale package listed above ....what does anyone else think about it? Please keep the advice coming... thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom