What thickness wetsuit for 68 degree water (no thernocline)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used a 7mm double layer wetsuit with hood for years before I upgraded to a dry suit. You should be fine at those temps but I would definitely wear a hood. Plus it will help your ears if you are doing a lot of dives over a short period of time.

--Matt

I'd do that dive in a full body 3mm with gloves, no hood. I've done a pair of 45+ minute dives with a 1 hour SI in 60 degree cloudy weather that way and been fine. I'm a warm person though. Maybe a 7mm FJ or 5mm full body.. or even a semi-dry would work for most people

jo8243:
Thanks for the replies... I tend to get cold easy, so I'll go w/ 7mm I think.... And nope, I'm not going to bonne terre mines. I'm headed to Vortex springs in florida. It's 68 degrees year-round.

72ºF is the temp of most Florida springs. I have reach 68ºF in the springs before but that was at way lower depths.

I wear a 3mm long sleeve shorty and a 3mm farmer john under it. I don't like wearing hoods, but I think most of my friends do. And if they have them, drysuits are popular for those temps. I am good in my wetsuit at those temps for about 2 hours before I get really cold, but I guess I am just used to it.

I have noticed that in the typical spring basin you are usually in shallow (30ft/10m) water (I don't know depth of vortex.), and I am fine with a 3mm wetsuit with no gloves or hood.

WHen I go deeper for cavern/cave or the occasional deeper spring (ie 40 fathom), I go with a 5mm hooded vest with the suit and usually feel fine to about 100ft/30m or more.

The big deal is air temp! In hot weather, I might even go 3mm for moderate depths (60ft/20m) just so there is less to tear off before I die of heat stroke. OTOH, in cooler weather (50F/10C), I get cold on my surface interval even with the hooded vest, so I might wear it to regain and build warmth during the dive even in shallow dives.

See, it's a simple problem with one clear cut answer! :D

jo8243:
What thickness wetsuit would you wear in 68 degree water (no thermocline)? Would you wear a hood?

Thanks

Obviously it is personal...

I'd be in a shorty but I'm used to cold water and I have my own insulation.

I have dove in the cenote's in Mexico at 68F and got hot in a 2 piece 3mm

Hood is always the first thing to add if you are cold.. The head loses alot of heat compared to its size.

jo8243:
What thickness wetsuit would you wear in 68 degree water (no thermocline)? Would you wear a hood?

Thanks

A full 3mm would be more than enough for me. I could probably go without any exposure protection but probably not more than half an hour or so.

jo8243:
Thanks for the replies... I tend to get cold easy, so I'll go w/ 7mm I think.... And nope, I'm not going to bonne terre mines. I'm headed to Vortex springs in florida. It's 68 degrees year-round.

Don't know if you've been there before or not, but here's a link to Vortex Blue Spring . Last time I was there, the service wasn't that great...would love to hear how it goes.

What's wrong with it? I've been there a few times.

BTW if you're coming down and would like someone to come dive give a holler. I'll show up there. If you're comfortable with overhead environments its actually quite nice (the OW part is kinda wah-wah IMHO)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom