What tanks to double....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver32

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am considering 2 new tanks. The end goal is to double them, in preperation for tech training. However, I will most likely use them as singles for a while. I currently use LP steel 95's as my primary tanks. My first thought was steel 119's. I am short and fat (5'10" and 275), and have heard that makes a difference which size tank works better

By the way, my set up includes:
DR SS plate/basic harness
Apeks TX50/DS4
Whites dry suit
40 cu sling bottle.

Dives with this config are conducted in usually colder, fresh water in the great lakes/St. lawerance seaway.

LP95s are one of the most popular sizes around for doubles. You'd look right at home in cave country

Firediver I'm having the same issue.
Personally I'll probably get double 119s. I probably wouldn't use them in cave country too often, but I'd still like to get decent fills here in NC. If I got a "short fill" on 119s I'd probably still end up getting more than a good fill on 95s here...thus I'd get the best of both worlds. :)

SparticleBrane:
Firediver I'm having the same issue.
Personally I'll probably get double 119s. I probably wouldn't use them in cave country too often, but I'd still like to get decent fills here in NC. If I got a "short fill" on 119s I'd probably still end up getting more than a good fill on 95s here...thus I'd get the best of both worlds. :)
I think they are essentially the same size. Not the same tank, but they seem to have the same dimensions so they would hold about the same volume at equal pressures.

edit: oops, I get what you are saying... :wink:

industrial-air-receiver.jpg

double these up. you might need a heavier weight belt

Jorbar1551:
double these up. you might need a heavier weight belt
Is that for back mounting,or do you just sling that thing? :D
If you dive one tank can you get thru no-mount restrictions?
What do you use for a wings? Rubber pontoons,commercial lift bags, or perhaps a small blimp? :rofl3:

Is that thing DIN or Yoke? And look how you do a VIS on it, just take that plate off the side and walk around and take a peek.

Brewone0to:
Is that for back mounting,or do you just sling that thing? :D
If you dive one tank can you get thru no-mount restrictions?
What do you use for a wings? Rubber pontoons,commercial lift bags, or perhaps a small blimp? :rofl3:

do it easy:
I think they are essentially the same size. Not the same tank, but they seem to have the same dimensions so they would hold about the same volume at equal pressures.

edit: oops, I get what you are saying... :wink:
Bingo. Unless I'm personally filling the tanks, which would hopefully happen a good bit of the time, you're lucky to get 2300 on a set of LP95s. So, carrying that same logic over, I might get 200ish pounds short of 3442 psi for 119s, but that's still 800-1000psi more than I'd get in the 95s.
Of course, you already figured this out. I was just spelling it out for everyone else...:D :eyebrow:

Weight and buoyancy characteristics, and balance, vary from tank to tank, what works seems to vary greatly from person to person (with doubles, anyway). The best thing is to see if you can borrow sets of the tanks you're considering doubling up, to see what feels good and trims out well for you.

i've got double 80's. i cant complain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom