What tanks to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PilotRon

Reaction score
I am considering buying 2 tanks. I am in the
Ft. Lauderdale area where I do my diving and it saves me $18.00 per dive trip.

What type tanks to buy?

Why buy steel over aluminum?

What type should I buy?

might wan to say what type of diving, depth, etc. you do so folks could give you better advice.

The more info you can give, the better the advice will match your needs.

If the $18 cost savings is your main factor and you've been diving AL80 rental tanks, then AL 80's will be your cheapest solution.

The dives I have made have been a range of max of 110' to average of 50-70 feet. I am new to the sport so I am just doing regular fun dives, reef, and outside of wrecks (no penetration).

With an average of 50-70 feet, Aluminum 80's should be the "best value" for you and also good for that type diving. You should be able to pick these up new where you are from in Ft Lauderdale for $120 to $140 per tank.

You can get steel if you can budget a little more money. Most will be a little larger also at 85 or 95 (or more) cubic feet. The other advantage is that they are less bouyant so you won't have to wear as much weight on your weight belt to be "neutral" in the water. Expect the LP 85 steels to start at around $215-$220 and easily go up to $350 per tank depending on brand and spec's.

hope tha helps. -mike

If you plan to stick to this sports for a while and money isn't tight. I recommend PST steel tank, E7 or E8 series. You won't regret your decision.

e7-100's...lots of air, nice and light, expensive but worth it..i love mine!!

Back
Top Bottom