What smb and where to buy it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
2nd trip, after much readding wondering about a smb. Does blue xtsea provide them or do we need our own and if so what is a inexpensive yet safe option? As a rule we seldom (read never) do drift diving and have never in 30 years of diving felt the need for one (let the flames begin). So any suggestions? We will probably not need it but better safe than fish food. Tanks, Bill

I've never heard of any dive op providing SMBs. I think SMBs are basic commodity type items - maybe not a great difference between them? We got ours from DAN.

There was a recent thread and a reference to an article that basically said the bigger the better when SAR is looking for you. I went with the DAN one.

Get something around 2 meters long, a smaller one might not be visible in bad wether.
Bonus if it's not open on the bottom.
NEVER go sea diving without an SMB

Only GUE deals in absolutes.

I am not GUE, but for a few things one should not compromise. FYI diving in the Red Sea and Australia, NO-ONE dives without an SMB. It's in the law. In both situations, LOB are providing/selling SMB's for tose that do not have one.

Now, you do what you want :)

Size is something to consider. Sure, a giant one is great for a rescue situation, but can be a pain to deploy easily. I know some people the shoot their SMB every time they come up. I bought the giant DAN ones with the whistle and the glow stick, but I soon started carrying a smaller 'regular' one as it was easier to carry and easier to deploy and sufficient to probably keep a boat from hitting me. And in Cozumel, that is really what you need. On the other hand I dive with a guy occasionally that carries TWO of the giant SMB.

As the Chief said a basic 4-6 foot bouy will handle most diving in Cozumel. An overly large bouy can be a pain to launch, but I understand the need for one in open water and heavy swells, which is not the norm for Cozumel. IMO a giant partially inflated bouy laying on the surface is not as visable as an over inflated, erect, 4-6 footer. My current bouy has an over inflation valve which I am not fond of, it is to easy to accidentally deflate the bouy on the surface. I understand the concept of having the valve but in reality I have tried to burst a cheap one (basic oral inflate W/O relief valve) by fully inflating one and launching it multiple times from 60-90 ft. Could not pop it, but on the surface it was as hard as a 2x4.

Go in to your local dive shop and try the different ones they stock. There are differences in the inflation tube, the velcro that holds it together when rolled up, the clip you will use to hold it to your reel or BCD or both, inflated size, color, quality of the material, etc. In my dive shop I stock the Dive Rite, Trident and Scubapro SMBs. I stock different brands so my customer can touch, feel, inflate, deflate and make their choice. Find one you like and go with it. After purchase there are several videos on YouTube with tips and tricks on how to set up your SMB and Line Reel.

Back
Top Bottom