What size snaps to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tanzer2250

Reaction score
What size snap do you use for (1) primary light, (2) backup lights and (3) pressure gauge when diving in cold water (northeast wreck diving) with 5 mil. gloves (not dry gloves)? Is there a recommended size to use?

i use a 5/8" in warm water diving so i am assuming you will need bigger oned becasue of the thicker gloves you are wearing.

How to use: Selection of the correct device for the job is critical. Avoid choosing a bolt snap that is too big for the job. In general, the following sizes are used for the tasks indicated:
• Securing the long hose to the harness – 1/2” bolt snap
• Securing backup lights to the harness – 1/2” bolt snap
• Securing the SPG to the left hip D ring – 3/4” bold snap
• Securing stage bottles – 3/4” or 1” bolt snaps

http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/accessories.html

Bottom of the page

I need some assistance making a decision regarding the size of snaps to buy. I am planning to purchase from Nix Dog Collars. There are a few options on the Diving Snaps page, but they don't appear to offer 1/2" snaps. I need snaps for general recreational use, e.g. backup light, SPG, SMB and so on. Would it be better to go with the "Mixed Bag" of snaps, with the following contents:
www.nixdogcollars.com:
There are 2 Double Stainless Steel Snaps , 2, 1&1/8 Inch Stainless Steel Snaps , 4, 3/4 Inch Stainless Steel Snaps , 4 , 3/4 Inch with a large Ring Stainless Steel Snaps.
or should I just go with a bag of 3/4" snaps:
www.nixdogcollars.com:
#34SS: 3/4" Stainless Steel Bolt Snaps.
?

As I am a recreational BP/Wing diver, I suspect that the second option would be the best, as I don't think that I would need the double snaps, for example. The 1 1/8" snaps would also be too large for my uses. Maybe I have answered my own question - but I would really appreciate your input.

If 1/2" snaps are the way to go, is there a reasonably priced Internet vendor of this hardware? From what I have seen in my research, Nix has the best prices by far.

Does the size of the ring on the snap influence the decision as well?

Cheers (and thanks),

Andrew

ShoalDiverSA:
I am planning to purchase from Nix Dog Collars. There are a few options on the Diving Snaps page, but they don't appear to offer 1/2" snaps.
The 12SS snaps at the bottom of the page appears to be a 1/2" snap, just based on the size of the ring as compared to the size of the snap. I would call and verify before ordering, though.

I prefer the 1/2" snaps for backup lights and long hose, 3/4" snap for SPG, and then 1" "large ring" snaps for stage bottles and SMB. For 3/4" snaps, I would try your local Lowe's - I have had good luck finding SS snaps and small double enders there.

Whatever you buy, make sure that the spring in the snap is SS as well. A lot of the cheaper snaps use regular steel springs, which will rust over time.

ShoalDiverSA:
Does the size of the ring on the snap influence the decision as well?
Yes - you want to avoid snaps with large rings for backup lights and SPG because it is very easy to accidentally clip something to the snap ring instead of the D-ring.

DIR-Atlanta:
The 12SS snaps at the bottom of the page appears to be a 1/2" snap, just based on the size of the ring as compared to the size of the snap. I would call and verify before ordering, though.

Yeah, I am pretty sure I use the 12SS for 1/2 inch, and 34SSLR (3/4") for SPG and for stages. Not tried a larger one on stages yet.

This should help. If you're too lazy to click....
3/8" for the long hose and primary light heads
1/2" for the backup lights
3/4" for the SPG

To be honest I don't think that there will be a huge difference between a 3/8" and a 1/2" bolt snap for the long hose, so whichever will most likely be ok. Not that the DIR police probably aren't going to pull you over underwater and write you a ticket because your long hose bolt snap is 1/8" too wide. :wink:

Thanks for all the replies.

I must apologise for asking a question from a non-DIR perspective in the DIR forum. I just saw that this thread (mostly) addressed the issue I needed to solve. I think posting in the DIR forum introduced some confusion as to my intentions with the snaps.

However, it looks like the 3/4" and 1/2" snaps will cover most of my needs. I do not use stage bottles, or a DIR hose configuration (yet), so I will purchase to suit those needs in future. I will ask Nix Dog Collars if they can do a "special" combo for me...

Thanks again for the responses - particularly for pointing out the 1/2" snaps - they are much appreciated!

Cheers,

Andrew

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom