What size is this tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcahill129

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would appreciate some help to determine the capacity of this tank - specs are:

SCUBAPRO DOT3AA 3000-86/90474 6098 M8803 Faber 1A86+
I did my best to measure this tank (dia. w/o valve ) 7" x 20.75"

Thanks for the help -
Dennis

Cylinder Specifications If you scroll down to the low and mid pressure tank chart, there is a 71cf tank that matches those numbers very closely. I would suspect that's it. The chart shows the tank as a 3300PSI, that's because it's a 3000PSI tank with a 10% overfill allowance, which your tank has as well.

Hope this helps,
Jim

I would appreciate some help to determine the capacity of this tank - specs are:

SCUBAPRO DOT3AA 3000-86/90474 6098 M8803 Faber 1A86+
I did my best to measure this tank (dia. w/o valve ) 7" x 20.75"

Thanks for the help -
Dennis

This looks to me as a steel 86 Manufactured in 1986 and if no other hydro dates are listed then you need a hydro.... rated at 3000PSI

It was made in 1986 but its a mid-pressure 72cf tank. Rated pressure with the plus is 3300 psi as Jimmer's link shows. Needs hydro. The lack of a REE number means you may or may not be able to get a plus stamp put on it. Alot of hydroshops will only plus stamp if they can easily compare the measured expansion with the REE expansion.

The Faber 71.4 was the only Faber made during that era for Scubapro with a 3000 psi service rating. The rest (75.8, 95.1) were low pressure 2400 psi tanks. The 71.4 cu ft capacity is acheived at the 10% overfill pressure of 3300psi and the capacity is 64.9 at the 3000 psi service pressure - basically identical to the original generic steel 72 that was taller but lower pressure (2250 psi service pressure).

The REE number for the Faber 71.4 should be 46. It's a pretty common tanks and all of the recent ones I have seen are stamped "REE 46" so a hydro tester should not give you too much grief. If they do, you'd have to get a letter from Faber stating what the REE number is for your particular tank and serial number.

A larger problem is often getting them to plus rate a tank at all as it requires one more additional calculation.

Thanks to all for the detective work and advice. I have a recent Hydro for the tank, but no notation of a plus rating. When I asked the LDS owner why no + he said they never add a +. Then I asked if he would would fill it to 3300 psi and he said - yes. Do I have an issue/problem on my hands?

Nope, none of my tanks have the plus, and my LDS fills them to plus no problem. If yours is willing to do that as well, then don't worry about it. Just keep in mind that not every shop will do that.

I have one of those cylinders and enjoy it.

Like others the re-hydro lacks the + but shops routinely take it to 3300.

I got it used but I think hydro is a year or 2 away. I'll be writing for the REE#

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom