what size is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barrmust

Contributor
Reaction score
hello:

i just picked up a tank and dont know what size it is. it is about 7 in in diameter and 26.5 in from the bottom to the neck. it is a faber steel 2400 psi tank.the following is on the tank:

scubapro dot-3aa 2400-92/9011/ m8303 farber italy 07 ^ 92+

any help in figuring out the size would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

barrmust:
hello:

i just picked up a tank and dont know what size it is. it is about 7 in in diameter and 26.5 in from the bottom to the neck. it is a faber steel 2400 psi tank.the following is on the tank:

any help in figuring out the size would be greatly appreciated.

Russ

These are common in Europe. If I'm right it's a 7 litre bottle. In US measurements it would be about 45cf. The "+" sign means you can overfill it by 10% to 2640 psi. If the stamp you quoted is the only one it has then it was made in 1992 and should be hydro'd before you use it.

R..

i dont think it is a 45cf tank i think it is bigger. when i took it into the shop yesterday and dropped it and a al80 off to be checked out they thought they were both al80s. the steel tank is almost identical in height and only a tiny bit slimmer. does anyone know if there is a way to calculate size of cf from the pressure and the physical size of the tank?

Russ

barrmust:
i dont think it is a 45cf tank i think it is bigger. when i took it into the shop yesterday and dropped it and a al80 off to be checked out they thought they were both al80s. the steel tank is almost identical in height and only a tiny bit slimmer. does anyone know if there is a way to calculate size of cf from the pressure and the physical size of the tank?

Russ

Erm....ok you're right. 7 in is bigger than I thought once I worked it out. Faber makes all kinds of bottles around the 10 litre range. It's very likely one of those. You can't tell from the outside dimentions alone. YOu need to know the internal volume.

What I can read from the code is this:

scubapro
Reseller is scubapro

dot
DOT stamp

3aa
Tank is made from steel

2400psi working pressure

92/9011/
I *think* this is the serial number

m8303
this is the DOT code that tells us that it's a Faber cylinder

Faber italy
Also tells us that it's a Faber cylinder

07^92
This is the date of the last hydrostatic test. It hasn't been tested since it was made (assuming that the 92 in the serial number is the year of manufacture) and this is how I can tell that you need to get it done.

+
Tells us that you can fill it to 110% of it's working pressure.

Hope this helps.

R..

lp stel 85's are about the size of an al80. they use the same size bands.

Bit of a personal question, don't you think???

Just bought a faber last week LDS that is about the same size. It was sold to me as an 80 but I wonder if it is not an 85. It has a making on it SCC/85?

VikingOK

On Diverlink website under steel tanks this is the closest that fits that tank
Marketed Capacity -- 75.8
Manufacturer -- Faber
Actual Capacity -- 69.39
Overfill Capacity -- 76.29
Working Pressure -- 2400
10% overfill -- 2640
Length -- 26.2
Dia. -- 6.76
Empty weight 29.4
Buoyancy Empty -- (-.1)