what sidemount tanks do you dive with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recreational Dives 2 x 8.5L @ 232bar
Advanced / Cave Dives 2 x 12L @232bar plus sometimes Stages (Al 80cft)

I only dive recreational and I use a set of Faber LP50 (2400psi + rated) tanks, my normal LDS fill is 2700psi after cooling so I end up with 56cf per tank. I know if I wanted to push that a bit higher they likely would. All my SM dives to date have been shore entry and none below 80ft so I haven't really had and issues. I also have access to a set of AL80 and LP85 tanks. I tried the LP85 tanks and with my back issues was not fussy about them. That being said if I was doing a boat dive I would definitely consider using them. In a perfect world I would have some LP72 tanks.

Lp85s are lots of air even without a cave fill and better still if filled to 3600. For super streamlined, lp50s are sweet too and with a cave fill hold over 70cf of air.
Hp tanks are far to heavy for me even in a drysuit with a 490g undergarment, but im skinny and dense...
I have sidemounted al40’s, al80s, lp50s, lp72s, lp85s, lp95s, and hp100s. 50s and 85s are withoutt question my favorites.

Lp85s are lots of air even without a cave fill and better still if filled to 3600. For super streamlined, lp50s are sweet too and with a cave fill hold over 70cf of air.
Hp tanks are far to heavy for me even in a drysuit with a 490g undergarment, but im skinny and dense...
I have sidemounted al40’s, al80s, lp50s, lp72s, lp85s, lp95s, and hp100s. 50s and 85s are withoutt question my favorites.
Al40's should only be bailout def not enough air no weight. I think if you are having a situation where you need to constantly remove tanks to get through a tight restriction i think Al80's are the best cause they stay neutral for a little bit. I personally Dive AL80 and LP 85. I hated diving hp 100 cause they are short and a pain to deal with the 85 has the length and small diameter so for it me it fits my profile better.

Al40's should only be bailout def not enough air no weight. I think if you are having a situation where you need to constantly remove tanks to get through a tight restriction i think Al80's are the best cause they stay neutral for a little bit. I personally Dive AL80 and LP 85. I hated diving hp 100 cause they are short and a pain to deal with the 85 has the length and small diameter so for it me it fits my profile better.

I use al40’s when solo diving for lost sunglasses and watches in a local 15’ quarry or river that id kayak down. I used to do it a lot before buying lp50s. It works great, super light and small to pack in the car and/or kayak, redundant for solo, and as much air as the widely accepted al80 single tank. So why is it a problem to use them this way instead of as deco or bailouts? Btw im a skinny guy and need no weight with a 3mil wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom