What Should I Use to Fix my Drysuit Zipper?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

V. G. McGillicuddy

Contributor
Reaction score
So, I bought this drysuit from a private party for 80 dollars...

And the only thing that appears to be wrong with it is that there is a break in the zipper, between two teeth. There is a tiny hole at the base of the break.
My LDS owner says that it cannot be repaired and that the zipper will need to be replaced to the tune of $300.
Seeing as how I cannot afford that at the moment (or anytime soon), what do you guys recommend that I use to glue the two teeth together and seal the hole?

Thanks,
McGill

McGill, there's nothing you can do to repair it. Your LDS was right on that note. However, you can probably get the zipper replaced for less than the price they quoted you. I'm about to replace the zip on my wif'e's dry suit and it's not costing me anywhere near that. I am doing the replacement myself, but even the zip didn't cost half of your quoted price.

What kind of dry suit did you buy?

It is a Viking, made of a rubbery material. The zipper runs across the back of the shoulders.
How hard is it to replace the zipper?

Thanks for the help,
McGill

Depending on the location of the bad link ie if its near the end, you could aqua seal it but you will lose that amount of zipper opening. I have done this before to get me by for a couple of dives. But then I replaced the zipper very shortly afterward. So I can't say how long it would last.

V. G. McGillicuddy:
It is a Viking, made of a rubbery material. The zipper runs across the back of the shoulders.
How hard is it to replace the zipper?

Thanks for the help,
McGill

It requires a little patience, but isn't that difficult at all. It's actually more difficult to remove the old zipper and prep the suit than it is to cement a new zip on.

You didn't say where the two teeth are broken. If the break is at the very end (last 1 inch) then you can aquaseal the whole thing together from the break to the end. I had the same thing happen,and this gave the suit 200 more dives,and didn't reduce the effective opening to donn/doff the suit by much.

The break is 4 or 5 inches from the closing end.
I don't have the at the moment, but I will check out the links at the first opportunity.
Thanks much guys!
McGill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom