What should I expect?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry for the late reply, but Gary, if you pm me with your contact info, I'll send you a copy of the mag.

I think for now what I'm going to do is just expand my certifications and wait to see what happens.

Hey Shane,

I have not made it outside the bay since the storm, all our work has been insdie but it is clearing now.

I am heading down to the beach to inspect a concrete pier that collapsed Friday or Sat and will let you know if there is any visibility.

One good thing is the storm drew in a ton of fish, all the grouper and snapper have moved inside or on the near shore wrecks since Ivan...

NDSTC:
We had a few scientists (federal) and an FBI agent come through while I was there so it is certainly possible. It would be a great oppertunity for you guys for sure.

Mustangs:

Man, that is some good to know info, did you guys test it out yourself?

What is your basic load (magazines?)

We were still using these silly work vests during small boat ops, I will forward the info to the Army guys still in.

I have seen some Sea-Bee working vests that incoorperated pockets similar to an LBE but having a inflating vest would be the least cumbersome.

Give me a shout when your in town, I am sure we could find something to dive given enough time...

Jeff

Jonny_Rocket:

Can you share the name of the article and the publication? I'm interested in getting trained for barge security.

Thanks,

Scubadiver214

Jonny_Rocket:
I read an article about an antiterrorist unit that is being trained in the Florida Keys for cruise ship and barge security. (Florida Scuba News Vol 21 issue 9 page 22) I'm very interested in getting into a spring course. It suggests that people interested in participating be "certified public saftey folks" with drysuit and underwater comm experience. I'm taking care of the two latter issues, and am thinking about joining my local volunteer fire dept's dive team. Is there anything that I should know before I join?
Thanks for your time...

Jon

Mustangs:

Man, that is some good to know info, did you guys test it out yourself? --> Yes, we ordered a sample of their police model once we realized that the Coast Guard PFDs allow the rifle to roll you face down once you surface. We have decided to fastex the rifle on short straps to the plate carrier to emulate a sling, so it can be ditched quickly. The armor carriers front and back are for ceramic strike plates (level 3) The are also being ordered with fastex buckles top and sides.

What is your basic load (magazines?) --> 4 30s + a radio pouch on the front of the armor carrier, a camelback on the back.
After some testing we elected to keep the glocks on our thighs, with mag pouches in an opposing thigh panel. The testing was done in a 18' high diving pool, with a matching lead load plus a solid plastic training gun. In a 7m fall, the operator sunk to about 16-18' before inflation began, but the time from striking the water to surfacing was only about 4-5 seconds consistently. Once on the surface, the operator floated face up, no matter what we hung on him. Two big guys extra even. That thing is incredible. Only one drawback we could find. It gets compromised, you are going to the b o t t o m. So we are training to ditch equipment as soon as possible after a fall, no matter what.

Next time we do a training day, I will photograph the system for you and email it to ya. Yep, if you know guys that are carrying armor and weapons, and using foam flotation, they are probably fine if they are awake when they hit the water, but they are gonna drown if they have a slung rifle on and are out when they get wet.

We were still using these silly work vests during small boat ops, I will forward the info to the Army guys still in.

I have seen some Sea-Bee working vests that incoorperated pockets similar to an LBE but having a inflating vest would be the least cumbersome.

Give me a shout when your in town, I am sure we could find something to dive given enough time...
Oh, Diving last weekend. Vortex Friday was well, cold. I was built like a Dept Store Mannequin when I got out after 3 hours.
Saturday, we stayed close and dove Bridge section #1 out from Capt Anderson's twice. Surface to 15', the vis was 5' and the current put some low conditioned divers back on the boat immediately,(maybe 3 knots?). 20'-70', no current, 30' vis, and FISH. Angels, Mackrel, Jacks, Grouper, and I mean alot of them. The Divemaster called off our Sunday dives because of Matthew, so we did a beach dive at St. Andrews. That sucked. 4-5' vis, and a strong rip near the rock jetty. I am starting another class tonight that will require some dives in November, so well be back. Ill talk to you before then.
Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom