What sets off your alarm bells?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm adding to the list anyone who tries to do buddy checks or talk dive plan or hand signals or gas planning or anything else with me while I'm doing checklist/pre-breathe. In the unlikely event we didn't talk about all of those things before I started the pre-jump list, I already told you (nicely, unless I haven't yet had my coffee) that we'd get to all that after I'm done making sure my breathing box O' death is no more likely to try and kill me than normal, and to pretty please with sugar on top not distract me while I'm doing that.

If you're still talking at me after all that, you're likely to cause problems later, too. And strangely enough, it's not just OC divers who do this crap...:shakehead:

I'm adding to the list anyone who tries to do buddy checks or talk dive plan or hand signals or gas planning or anything else with me while I'm doing checklist/pre-breathe. In the unlikely event we didn't talk about all of those things before I started the pre-jump list, I already told you (nicely, unless I haven't yet had my coffee) that we'd get to all that after I'm done making sure my breathing box O' death is no more likely to try and kill me than normal, and to pretty please with sugar on top not distract me while I'm doing that.

If you're still talking at me after all that, you're likely to cause problems later, too. And strangely enough, it's not just OC divers who do this crap...:shakehead:

I just insist on talking back through the loop. After a few sentences they get frustrated trying to decipher my mumbling and leave me alone.

A Pvt. saying, "I learned this in boot camp."
A Lt. saying, "In my vast amount of experience..."
A Capt. saying, I was just thinking..."
And two Staff Sgts. saying, "hold my beer and watch this s**t."
and how many civvies have a clue what you just posted?

and how many civvies have a clue what you just posted?

This one anyway. But via dive buddies and relatives I have often been exposed to military humor. Some such as "cluster F" need no translation.

Don't stress too much about a dive buddy. In times of trouble, blind panic is the norm. No buddy is going to be able to help you.

For me its rarely one thing that puts me into full alarm but rather its a combination of little things. Of course we should all be a little bit extra cautious of a new buddy. Heres some of my cues.

new divers with muck sticks, ding. weight belt on the wrong way ding ding. Oh your weight belt should be right hand release - I'm left handed, ding ding ding ding ding. No buddy checks DING DING. A look of disapointment that we're only going to X depth, ding. Leaving your tank standing on a rocking boat,ding. allowing your alternate(potentially my alternate) dangle about, ding ding. not realising you've forgotten something till your actually in the water, ding. Tying off that pesky loose weight belt bit,DING. knife strapped to the calf, ding. Not talking to me ,ding. Big camera/video rigs ding ding*.

*usually good divers but not always good buddies.
I have been doing that since 1974.

People checking me out for alarm bells rings my alarm bells. Honestly, I talk and can even be nice at times. Got a question, Please ask. I don't mind talking about diving at all.

Brand new kit.... OK....
I've got a brand new bp/w, because I bought it last month. Does that make me an unsafe or questionable instabuddy or just someone with a new piece of equipment? No one knows...

First impressions can be so utterly wrong.

Btw.

When I'm on a business trip and see a chance to do some diving, I rent my gear. I usually travel with my prescription mask.
Everybody enjoy the noise of your alarmbells and I'll enjoy my dive ;-p

When I'm DMing a class I usually have my stuff set up & ready to go well beforehand. When I dive solo there is nobody to talk. But when I dive with a buddy (once in a while), I tend to forget things (even after 9 years) when I'm listening to him and responding. I like to get the business done first then converse. Or, get the dive planning & buddy stuff done before we start to gear up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom