What SCUBA accessories/gadgets for newbie divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also learned how to dive with a snorkel but ditched it very quickly after finishing basics, i never understood the point of it to be honest.

Not to mention that in my opinion in a panic situation it could be (relatively) easy to confuse your snorkel with your'e regulator and just shove it in your mouth , it always bothers me, its uncomfortable.

Do you get a chance to use it? i personally haven't came across a situation where i thought i could use my snorkel at the moment, but your dive conditions might be different so im curious.
Really the earlier posts. We’re talking about foldable snorkels. I wear them in a pocket for the surface if it gets bad. He wears them because he teaches students.

Those deaths mentioned due to no tank air and rough seas without a snorkel. I've been in some pretty rough water and never needed the snorkel -- Must've been a tropical storm or something.

I don’t know the full story but I went out without a snorkel in the Atlantic and I was informed that I should wear one because of big waves (in a pocket) and that 6 divers drowned and that risk could have been mitigated with the aid of a snorkel.

I understand what you’re saying about you never needing it, but many divers use way too much lead, wetsuits, and probably got panicked or hypothermic and then the water drowned because they couldn’t keep the air way open. I’m assuming you’re not one of these. Even if you’re fully inflated, and riding high, big waves just don’t go away and you’re at the mercy of them. A foldable snorkel in a pocket takes up literally no room, I forget it’s there.

EDIT: Secondary drowning could have been a factor also.

The way a one foot snorkel will save you from a six foot wave is: you pull it out of your pocket and wave it at the wave, and the wave will run away scawed.

Octopus holder and clips for your SPG, if you dive with one. Even if you rent a BCD and regulator assembly, those gadgets are cheap, secure hoses away from dragging on coral, and secure in a destinated locating so quick use when needed.

... Regardless, assuming your eventual purchase is integrated weight, buying a belt now seems like a waste.

I find that weight belts are fantastic on jeans. They are infinitely adjustable and indestructable. I have no use for them diving but for holding up pants tyhey are superb.

I find that weight belts are fantastic on jeans. They are infinitely adjustable and indestructable. I have no use for them diving but for holding up pants tyhey are superb.
Your jeans have 2" belt loops!?!?
Do they also have bell bottoms and embroidered peace signs?

Your jeans have 2" belt loops!?!?
Do they also have bell bottoms and embroidered peace signs?

A bit snarky are we? No bell bottoms, but yes the loops are 2". My jeans are mostly carpenter style or loose fit straight leg, not the fancy styles you probably pay for. I've also found that some dress trousers have belt loops wide enough for a weight belt. Likewise tropical zip leg pants.

Back
Top Bottom