What sacrifices have you made for diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My shooting hobby is now off season. I’ve sold gun stuff to fund diving gear purchases.

I’ve given up sleep. :wink:. Have to get up at 4-4:30 for the dive boat or quarry.
Same story here. I sold my AR15 to finance the purchase of my steel tanks. When I've got cash to blow, a charter sounds more enticing than a range day...

I guess Im an anomaly bc I don't feel I've sacrificed a lot to diving

Im an "economical" diver, so I didn't sacrifice too much cash getting geared up - I'd say about $2000 total, most of that 10 yrs ago, and the gear still works (altho at the time that $$ did feel like a big sacrifice).

My wife doesn't dive, so I don't do dive-centric vacations - I just steal away a few mornings to fit in 2 tanks of diving. Although Ive had to sacrifice diving sometimes, like when we went to her native El Salvador - 85 deg F ocean temp, but no diving (its surf territory).

Every month or so, I sacrifice hoops or taking the dogs on a hike (my usual weekend activities) to go to Monterey/Carmel to dive. I guess it helps that my other pursuits (hoops, my pooches) aren't spendy pastimes.

Other kinds of travel and recreational activities, like mountaineering.

Well, while maybe not a sacrifice, I did debase a young lady back in the late 60's while wearing an orange Jacques Cousteau watch cap. Does that count?

I have given up the space under our bed for an increasingly impressive collection of dive gear, acquired slowly over time, with patience and stealth, as a mouse gathers a loaf, crumb by crumb.

Reduced the number of trips home to see family and instead gone travelling to new places for diving, meeting new people and hearing about other awesome trips to aid in building a bucket list of dive locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom