what reasons have you seen people not pass certifications?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have declined to certify a couple of instructor candidates who, in my mind (and in the judgment of the other staff) did not meet the test of, "Would you trust this individual to teach your loved ones to dive?" I have declined to certify one entry level diver who had a bad substance abuse. I have declined to certify a few dozen people as university research divers because they lack the skill, knowledge or proper attitudes toward our accepted diving safety practices (usually "highly" certified recreational divers).

Early in my DM career the instructor I was helping had one guy who falsified his medical. We didn't find out they had chest surgery a few months earlier (can't recall the time frame but it was short) until after dragging his fat butt back to shore because he couldn't breathe on the surface swim out on dive one.
Helped remove the wetsuit top and there's this incision down the chest area staring at me. WTH is that? He tells me the story. Returned to the class and gave the instructor a note on the bottom. "Fred" won't be joining us, doesn’t have the heart to continue.
I was not involved in the conversation between the student and instructor but it was short if I recall and he never received a “re-do” that day.

When I was a new OWSI I helped a store out of Grand Junction Colorado with their OW dives when they came to town. On the final day one student couldn't remove their mask without bolting. After a few attempts I called it. I informed the lead instructor that he couldn't do the skill. After a little side discussion I loaded my gear and left for home. I'm sure someone signed their card, it wasn't me. Funny, after that I do not recall them asking for help when they came to town.

I have had a number fail themselves because the were eaither there for the wrong person or just wouldn't do a particular skill.
Why is it always mask skills that freak people out? :idk: /sarcasim
I always tell students I will continue to work with you as long as I am here and you keeping coming through the door and trying.

The primary reason why I have not 'passed' students from the OW course is anxiety. This has reflected in a subsequent inability to peform the required skills at a comfortable and controlled manner. Mask remove and replace is tends to be the critical 'test' of water comfort and panic control.

I'll tell you why mask clearing is the number one problem. PADI instruction does not teach the muscle movements necessary to close the back of the nasal cavity so students do not breathe water in through their nose. I know, I had to teach myself what was necessary to do this. The PADI manual just says do not breathe in through your nose with your mask off. This is like me saying in order to land a 747 just lower the landing gear and come in for a smooth landing. If you do not know the movements necessary you may die or bolt to the surface. Talk about creating anxiety. I posted the method on SB I used which describes in detail what I do. I now flood my mask every time I dive in order to keep in practice. I bolted from 3 ffw in the pool when I first had to do this. I was able to do it that night because the instructor had me breathe in through my mouth and out through my nose and that worked. Later, I realized what I must do to control the nasal valve, my "blowhole" I call it, since it seems to be analogous to a dolphin's blowhole. I contacted PADI about including a method in the manual and they are taking it under advisement.

Back
Top Bottom