What ppO2 do you use and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know GUE teaches 1.4 at MOST for bottom mix, and 1.2 for prolonged exposure or a working dive (with 1.6 for deco). If I remember correctly, my NAUI Nitrox class also taught 1.4 for general bottom time, with 1.6 for contingencies.

Who teaches 1.4? I'm a PADI and SDI nitrox instrustor, and I teach 1.6.

My PADI class (3 weeks ago in Key Largo) taught me 1.4 max operating depth, 1.6 for contingency purposes. The book said the same (though I seem to have misplaced my book at the moment)

I am not PADI cert, howerver I have never seen 1.6 as bottom recommendation especially for adv nitrox. Not sure when that changed?!?

---------- Post added August 5th, 2013 at 07:04 PM ----------

who teaches 1.4? I'm a padi and sdi nitrox instrustor, and i teach 1.6.

IANTD GUE and NAUI to my knowledge.

I have my computers set to 1.3. If I find I start hitting that with greater depth or bottom time I will consider adjusting but for now I could probably run it to 1.2 and not matter with the dive. I have only had a few dives and less than 65 feet so gas consumption being high is keeping me out of trouble for now.

another one on the band wagon for 1.4 and 1.6 for contingency (as taught through NAUI). Cold & deep water here.....

I run 1.0 for the dive until I get to my 20 foot stop. Then I will crank it up to 1.6. I have been bent twice and had issues with skin bends on both OC & CCR. By dropping my PO2, especially on dives over 3 hours, the skin bend issues went away. Even on a short 2 hour dive at Ginnie (100 foot max) I would sometimes get skin bends with the higher PO2's. For each hour at depth it only adds a couple of minutes deco obligation & I feel much better after the dive with the lower PO2.

There was a report of a seizure in the Accident Forum at 1.4 atm, and while the threshold varies from person to person and on other physiologic variables like ppCO2, it's just not worth taking the chance with your life.

TDI Teaches 1.4 regular / 1.6 Contingency. I saw one guy saying he was an SDI instructor teaching 1.6. He's not teaching from the manual.

I'm doing my nitrox classroom on Thursday, but PADI's book and video both recommended a limit of 1.4 ATA and a contingency of 1.6 ATA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom