What PFD do you use for shore work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Other than a 2010 post on the same issue, I did not see anything more recent.

We are a small volunteer evidence and recovery team with a small county budget. Currently we use the vest type PFD’s which are miserable to wear if it’s more than 60 degrees. We have a little money left in the budget and I’d like to get the tube type PFD’s like the pro bass fishermen wear.

This is the style-

I notice some are not coast guard approved, some are automatic, some manual, but all of them look much more comfortable than the typical vest type PFD. We will need at least 4 vests so a $75 vest is better than a $300 vest.

So, what PFD’s do y’all use for shore work?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

We are a small volunteer evidence and recovery team with a small county budget. Currently we use the vest type PFD’s which are miserable to wear if it’s more than 60 degrees. We have a little money left in the budget and I’d like to get the tube type PFD’s like the pro bass fishermen wear.

This is the style-

I notice some are not coast guard approved, some are automatic, some manual, but all of them look much more comfortable than the typical vest type PFD. We will need at least 4 vests so a $75 vest is better than a $300 vest.

Jay
Not sure about US coast guard approval as I'm from the UK, but we mainly use Crewsaver life jackets for shore or boat based operations. A wide range and pretty comfortable. In winter I wear mine over my Fladden Two-piece survival suit and even then have reasonable flexibility

A local based state worker friend who does dock side collection and also on water collections said they use several types. But their current favorite approved for the Florida heat is the Mustang Survival, HIT Inflatable Work PFD. It's type V rated, very durable and very long lasting. It also resists stains from oils and grease because it has some type of glossy UV coating on it.

Edit to add.........Found this video of it.

This is the style-

Jay
I have been using this one for deck work the last two seasons. I have been pleased with and meets class V requirements. It isn't $75, but not $300 either.

Our dive team and FD uses Stearns type 3 Versaile pfd for shore support and boat crews.Seeing that Stearns is out of business and what is out there is all that is left, I picked up a Kent First Responder vest to try out and its really low profile and short. Will make a good replacement. I know it's not inflatable but it is a really good vest in the $50-$70 range.
First Responder Vest

Our dive team and FD uses Stearns type 3 Versaile pfd for shore support and boat crews.Seeing that Stearns is out of business and what is out there is all that is left, I picked up a Kent First Responder vest to try out and its really low profile and short. Will make a good replacement. I know it's not inflatable but it is a really good vest in the $50-$70 range.
First Responder Vest
Along those lines, I strongly do NOT recommend this one. I purchased five of them about 4 years ago for topside work, they have never been left in the sun or bilge. They have actually had a fairly simple life and they have shredded. Very very cheaply made. Hard to call it a work vest.
1653664301589.png

The Mustang HIT inflatables are the gold standard. We have a few foam and inflatable vests from FirstWatch Gear & they seem to be holding up pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom