What obstacles have you over come to be a diver??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

my only obstacle was that I was too young to take classes. but im old enough now!!:)

Kayla:)

I grew up in small-town Illinois as a Y-swimming kid. I never wanted to be out of the pool but I only saw the ocean on the aforementioned Cousteau specials. I saw Y-Scuba in the swimming pamphlet & begged my parents to let me advance once I was old enough. They flatly told me that the ocean would not be coming to Soybean country anytime soon (that was before the days of global warming. At this rate, my birth home may be a dive site in a couple decades..please don't remove my artifacts!)

Well, Mohammed didn't come to the mountain, but the mountain came to Mohammed; now I live in Hollywood, CA, a reasonalble drive from some dive sites and I am married to the son of 2 diving instructors in TX. (We were taught by someone out here) What a triumph for a little cracker who almost had tubes put in her ears because there seemed no hope of ever diving anyway! May childhood location never discourage another lover of the underwater world.

The biggest things that stalled me from getting in to diving initially was time and money. Once I had the time and money though I was all over it.

My biggest obstical was just the time and money like other people

I just finished school, was/am, working full time, so I had the money.

And I wasn't moving around anymore, so I had the time.

I wanted a new hobby.. No particular reason.. I've never been afraid of the water, just never fully comfortable in it.

Now I am though and like someone said above, an empty tank is about the only reason why I would surface! =)

Paul

Obsticles..... hummmmmm let me count the ways.
At age 42 I came down with a rare form of MS... and my world kinda changed. I took up snow skiing, weight lifting, rock climbing, etc anything to prove to others and myself that I was still human and "normal".

They were all fun, but something was still missing. Now 9 years later, I quite trying to prove to others that I was ok, and I found scuba, and these last 4 months have been great. It took me a little longer than most to get certed, but then who's counting?
A couple days after I got certed I headed for the DR and had my first warm water dive at Punta Canta and Catolina Island.... I found heaven. There are some first that we never forget.... first time driving, first time making love, and first time diving!

Obsticles are only a state of mind!

Phil

Back
Top Bottom