What mount works best with your GoPro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty, great videos... thanks for the comparison.

How did you fashion the chinstrap? I'm comfortable with the headstrap, assuming light/no current, and backroll entry, but anything else, and I've no doubt the thing will execute its *own* dive profile...

Here is a couple of pics of my chin strap

What Ive used is just an old strap from a sports bag I had around the house, it has 2 of the steel pull through type buckles that are very handy. This is just looped over the headband and tightened to fit. I prefer to have it further back more of a neck strap but it can be adjusted very easily to have it sit wherever you feel most comfortable.

I wouldn't recommend diving with the headband without an extra strap like I use or to place your hood over the headband. My first test dive with the headband on its own it fell off without me noticing but luckily I was in a spot I knew well and retraced my route to find it again easily. The water easily gets between the headband and your head and it comes lose very easily and even if it doesn't fall off this way it tends to wobble as the bubbles hit the gopro and makes your video less stable.

Also in some circumstances the bubbles may get into the frame and extending the gopro forward of your head will eliminate the bubbles. This mostly happens when you are not moving without much current and for this I have used this setup a few times.

Marty, thanks much for your suggestion on the chinstrap for the GoPro headstrap. Worked like a charm! Three feet of 1" webbing, and two 1" tri-glides -- about $3 worth of materials from DiveGearExpress, and I'm gold.

Going to test it out this Saturday...

I prefer to have it further back more of a neck strap but it can be adjusted very easily to have it sit wherever you feel most comfortable.

This is quite ingenious, but with a 'chin strap' running below your ear and across the neck at that point, don't you run the risk of putting a lot of pressure/strain across your Eustachian tubes? Not only risking equalization issues, but there are some pretty important veins/arteries in there that I wouldn't be putting pressure on personally... Just my .02

I don't have it very tight but it can go under the chin too i just found it more comfortable the way it is in that pic. Its pretty easy to slide the straps to any point on the headband same as putting it anywhere under the head that feels comfortable.

There is no need to have the under strap very tight its only there so the headband can't slide off your head backwards. The headband on its own can easily lift up and slide off without you feeling a thing as it did on my first test with it.

I have also made a regulator mount which I still haven't got around to testing as I havent done too much diving through the winter.

My main mount method these days has been the srp tray, and a 2 handed tray is easily the best method for stability and traditional type video. This works very well and gets great results but I still like the odd hands free dive or basic pov video for something a little different which is what the gopro is great for.

Dive Addicts is having an online GoPro sale in 2 days. 17% off GoPros.
Check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom