What Monterey dive sites and which thermals?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using the Whites MK2 with a polypropylene base which has been working well for me. I have also used a 200g Typhoon, which kept me warm, but I prefer the MK2 or DUI type undergarments as they don't have as much loft and don't trap as much air. (Less weight required to get down)

Have used this all throughout Monterey (Radio tower, breakwater, otter cove, etc). Definitely want to go to Lobos, but you will want to make sure you make a reservation for the time you will be down there Point Lobos State Reserve

CF200, then a DUI 400g, with about 100g polartec as a base layer, and dry gloves. I like being warm on longer dives.

There are plenty of sites to see, but the highlight from shore or boat, is Point Lobos State Park. Reservations required long in advance on weekends, but not so much on weekdays.

You guys are tougher than me :) I've got Whites MK3s, which I believe are thermally equivalent to the 400G. I'm rarely cold in the water, but I've also never thought I was too warm.

Ditto all that, sans the vest for me :).

I used to not use the vest... but I think age (of the UG and me) has caught up.... maybe I'll get a new one this summer.

Be sure to check conditions when selecting a site. Given the # dives indicated on your profile I would reccomend you start with the breakwater which in my expereince is the best dive for those new to Monterey and it is almost always diveable while other sites often get too rough. I reccomend following the breakwater out and back, almost impossable to get lost ang great variety of life in the rock wall and kelp. Good chance of a friendy encounter with the sea lions there too.

Links to sites and sea conditions below:

Monterey Bay Dive Sites

Monterey Sea Conditions at a Glance

have a nice visit :D

BTW- let me know if you need a buddy for a weekday dive

-Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom