What mask is better to use..? w/purge or w/out purge.?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ericandres1992

Registered
Reaction score
Hey i am new to diving and i want to buy a mask.but first i would like to know wich mask( w/out purge or w/purge) is better.???

I think it is personal choice. I started with a purge mask and quickly got rid of it for a more simple low volume mask. I dont like purge masks and find it pointless as clearing is a non issue. But if it works for you..why not?

Purge valves can fail. They can crack, get stiff or be torn. Debris can get stuck in the valve and cause it to leak. Same for purge valves on snorkels. Learning how to properly clear a mask or snorkel is pretty easy and unlike a purge valve, won't fail you with heavy usage.

Purge valves can fail. They can crack, get stiff or be torn. Debris can get stuck in the valve and cause it to leak. Same for purge valves on snorkels. Learning how to properly clear a mask or snorkel is pretty easy and unlike a purge valve, won't fail you with heavy usage.

The mask skirt and strap has all the same flaws, as does everything else we dive with.

It's my personal opinion that you should buy the mask that fits the best and leaks least, and learn to purge it via whichever method is appropriate.

Terry

Without a doubt get one without a purge valve. They are absolutely unnecessary. A worthless piece of equipment intended to overcome poor fundamental skills, in this case mask clearing.

I have both and would say to get one without. But if you want one I have a nice Oceanmaster purge mask for sale.

....both?

Yes, definitely both are better. Better than the other one, if it fits you and it's what you like.

All the best, James

I've used both, and both have their own advantages. You need to determine which ones are most important to you, and buy accordingly.

Exhaling thru the nose to clear a purge mask is a simple task, but purge masks tend to be higher volume. As said, the purge flap can fail eventually. Depending on purge mask model, it may take two hands to hold your nose when equalizing your ears because the nose pinch can be obstructed by the purge housing and you can't get finger/thumb of one hand on the pinch.

Non-purge masks can be of lower volume, reducing the size of the air pocket, bringing the glass closer to your face for a better field of view, and reducing the pressure issues found with higher volume masks. Equalizing ears is a simple one-hand procedure with non-purge masks. If you find that you like frameless masks, you won't find one with a purge valve.

Weigh the advantages of both types, try each type in the water before you buy, find the best price of the one that suits your needs, buy, and start diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom