What lights for the GoPro4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hogge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,
just have bought a GoPro4.
Does anyone have any recommendations regarding lights & setup?

Do I need redfilter even with good lights?

I have a pair of Light & Motion Sola 2000 lights. Mine are a bit of a older model, I think current model is Sola 21000. Light & Motion Personal Lighting Systems
You will need red or magenta filter, depending on the water where u dive. Northeast Atlantic water is green and you will need magenta. Water like in Caribbean you will need red.
Look at Backscatter : Underwater Camera, Underwater Video Housing, Underwater Photography, Waterproof Camera, they have videos how to use filters. The also have 3 filter setups.

Also tray and handles i bought here Ultralight Control Systems

I took this video 2 weeks ago with magenta filter and two lights. PS I'm still using GoPro 2.

this one i took 2 years go before i got lights, but i had redfilter.

Best to have both lights and filter. Filter has the advantage of being effective over a long distance while lights are effective in dark areas but shorter distances. You could also consider Archon d11v lights. They are pretty inexpensive but provide great results for the cost.

2 to 4 1000-lumen-class wide/video lights

I use the DRIS Impacts, but don't know if they are available to you.

A DIY tray & arms will save you some $ if you're handy.

I dive green California water so rely on the lights, no red filters.

My preferred rig is 2x Sola 1200 plus 2x Mako 890's (based on Archon D11v) on an Ikelite tray...

GoProRig2.png

The Sola's can throw long/wide and the Mako lights are good for close lighting. Having four lights to move around provides for a lot of flexibility too.

Can you please send me a PM of this and where I could order this setup ?

Can you please send me a PM of this and where I could order this setup ?

I put this Frankenrig together myself.

Sola and Ikelite stuff is widely available, as are Locline parts for the arms.

Mako lights available here:Underwater Photo/Video Light | MAKO Spearguns

Once you have all that stuff together you'll still need to spend some time in the "Fasteners" aisle at the Swedish equivalent of Home Depot or Lowes.

:D

We offer a turn key solution with tray, light(s), arms, filters etc.

Two Handle Camera Tray | MAKO Spearguns

M2HTCT-2T.jpg

I had the chance to bring the Mako rig to Truk for ten days back in March. Really like the flexibility to configure the rig "as needed" depending on the particulars of the dive. And the price-point is hard to beat!

I use two Sola 2500 Video lights, you really need something like these if you are shooting with a GoPro and with both of them having a 90 degree beam I can cover 180 degrees. They are both attached with the GoPro to an Ikelite Steady tray. I shoot in medium not wide as well. I also have a small 600 lumen spot attached to the tray that is left on to help pick out items when just cruising along.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom