What length hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TB2Scuba

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking into buying a HOG D1 regulator set and was wondering what length hose to buy? I will be buying the D1 for my primary. Any suggestions?

Well, there are several "correct" answers, and one "right" answer...

:eyebrow:

Here's mine...

- 7ft hose on primary reg
- 24" on backup reg, worn bungied around your neck

For open water, single tank: Primary 5 1/2', backup 25" on bungee.

Here's mine...

:thumb:

I found out the hard way last weekend 22" on the backup is insufficient for me anyway. Got tangled with the Floatball/reel rolling-off the side of boat ripping apart my primary mouthpiece. Could not turn my head left well at all with backup reg...

Can someone explain the reasoning for the different sizes for a primary? I can understand different sizes for primary and secondary. Didn't know what the reasoning was behind it all.

Primary for donation or secondary for donation and your buddy or someone else's buddy will go to any length when desperate for air and rip the reg from your mouth if you let them.
Would you?
It's amazing the difference a few inches make.
Unless you are attentive and have the reg ready for them.

Where the tank sits has more effect on hose length than the head neck shoulders back relationship, which is miniscule between different sized people . A longer HP hose is required for bigger people using a console mounted compass.

The bloke below is talking about extra's from a horror movie.

Last edited:
Hose length.
1 We are not all the same size. A 5' tall woman and a 6' tall man would require different length hoses. The reg is farther away from the 6' tall mans mouth. If you were to go to a long hose (5'. 6' or 7') things change there depending on the size of the diver again. A diver with a 48" chest and a 17" neck requires a longer hose than a smaller person.
2 regs are not made all alike, some have fixed ports and some swivle.
3 Your wet suit or dry suit thickness also is a factor in length. again the size thing.

But for open water, I would guess a 30" primary hose should be long enough for most divers.

The 5',6' and 7' hose would be used for donating to an out of air buddy , of confined space diving where you can not be right next to your buddy while you share.

Jim breslin

Last edited:
I'll vote for the 7' primary. It might not be strictly necessary if you're not diving single file, but the extra length is nice when sharing, and I don't see any downsides to it. If you don't have a can light, tuck it into your waist belt. The hose for the secondary is a good place for one of the newer flexible hoses, such as the Miflex. In this case, I find 22" to be long enough, but I'd go to 24" with the classic rubber hose.

For my single tank I have 5' primary and 24" secondary. I hate 7' hoses, though I have one on my doubles setup for cave diving... but I still don't like it. The 5' routes perfectly for me without having to be tucked in or around anything (I'm 5'10"). Try out different lengths, see what you like, or hoses aren't that cheap so if you buy a size you don't like much you can just get another and use the old one as a spare.

Well, there are several "correct" answers, and one "right" answer...

:eyebrow:

Here's mine...

Agreed. Just hooked my brother up with his first reg set and when he got to use the long hose, thought it odd at first but, as we all do at some point, realized that 7' is a good length.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom