What kind of Wetsuit????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyAnnaRe

Registered
Reaction score
My boyfriend and I are going on a Blackbeard Cruise April 9-15 2005. We were wondering if anyone has gone during that time before and what kind of wetsuit they wore. The only time we have dove before is in the Catalina Island area and that was COLD. If anyone could give us any feedback that would be great. Thanks

your're gonna want a 3mm for april. Maybe it it's warmer water temps you might be able to get away with a shortie.

I think Blackbeards has a water temp chart on their site....
Yep... Found it. It's about halfway down their FAQ page.
April 75-79f/24-26c 75-90f/24-32c Shorty or Full Wetsuit

Says
Average TempWater Air Wetsuit Recommendation
--------------------------------------------------------------
April 75-79f/24-26c 75-90f/24-32c Shorty or Full Wetsuit

hope that helps.

-mike

Ya I saw that but then I also saw a lady who had an album from a trip with them. They had taken the trip in October and were mostly in shorties and no hoods. The temp was only 2-3 degrees difference in October and April. So decided to find out from someone who had been there during that time. So do we need a hood? I am worried about being too cold. Being from Arizona I am cold in 60 degrees. Turtleneck weather. I live for the 110 degree summers. Can I wear a 3mm full with a 2mm shorty over it? Or can I fit one of those 1mm skins under a 3mm? I am not sure of all my options for a backup for a 3mm incase I am cold. I plan on trying it out in my pool before it heats up. But I would rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for any help.

I understand your question because I am going on Blackbeards in mid March. I have no idea if I need a thicker wetsuit than a 3mm. If worse comes to worse, I'll take my shorty along to wear over it just in case I guess. I hate to go out and buy a brand new wetsuit just for this trip.

Will a 3mm be okay in Mid March? I can add a shorty to it if the 3mm is a little too cold.

Definitely 3mm - & I'd bring a beanie along as well. Remember, you're doing 3 to 4 dives a day, you're out on the deck all day in the breeze, & count on the temp being on the lower side on the deeper dives that you do later in the week. I did an early Nov. trip a couple years ago using a 3mm, & got chilled on the 3rd dive of the day, as well as the 2 night dives we did - but wisely, we were doing shallow dives at the end of the day, and staying down an hour or longer. You'll have a great time - I'm going again w/ my daughter this May.

MN Lakeman:
Definitely 3mm - & I'd bring a beanie along as well. Remember, you're doing 3 to 4 dives a day, you're out on the deck all day in the breeze, & count on the temp being on the lower side on the deeper dives that you do later in the week. I did an early Nov. trip a couple years ago using a 3mm, & got chilled on the 3rd dive of the day, as well as the 2 night dives we did - but wisely, we were doing shallow dives at the end of the day, and staying down an hour or longer. You'll have a great time - I'm going again w/ my daughter this May.

Was this a response to me (mid-March) or BabyAnnaRe (April)? Or both?

I guess I will just wear a 6mm. I am always cold. I would rather be safe than sorry. They are just a pain in the butt to get on and off wet.

I did a Blackbeard's liveaboard last November and water temps were around 78-79F. A couple of dive it got down to about 75F. It was fine for me in a full length 3mm. But this may or may not be enough for you depending on your tolerance for cold. I dove Catalina this past new years and was nice and toasty in a 7mm wetsuit.

BabyAnnaRe:
My boyfriend and I are going on a Blackbeard Cruise April 9-15 2005. We were wondering if anyone has gone during that time before and what kind of wetsuit they wore. The only time we have dove before is in the Catalina Island area and that was COLD. If anyone could give us any feedback that would be great. Thanks

I can not comment on what suit is ideal for YOU. A beenie can make a huge difference if you are prone to getting cold. They are inexpensive, and take up next to no room when packed. If you never need it, no worries, but if you find yourself getting cold, it will definately help.

Sounds like a great trip, hope the crossing is good for you.

Can I wear a 3mm full and a 2mm shorty? Is that a possible combo? Or can I get a 1mm underneath a 3mm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom