What kind of underwater photos do you like to see?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's a question: What sort of underwater pictures do you like to see? I don't mean what kind of pictures do you tend to take with your particular setup, but if you were looking at a dive magazine or book, what style/format/subject matter/etc. would really pop out at you?

Oh Man...that's a hard one! I suppose my favorite would be the very close macros and close-up shots. Reef scenes would come next, not those taken with a dome port...I don't like the distortion.

My least favorite is those with divers in them, especially divers hamming it up. A diver silhouette is OK but the diver better have their gear tucked in neatly or becomes a bad example and irritating to look at.

excellent question!

I like to see pix that show underwater animal behavior. Mating, fighting, building a home or nest, hunting, eating, protecting, especially the unique. Combine any behavior with a great exposure, and you got one at the top of my list.

I have so few of those. :ssst:

Thanks for the question. I like interesting lighting effects against the surface and macro the best

Dee:
Oh Man...that's a hard one! I suppose my favorite would be the very close macros and close-up shots. Reef scenes would come next, not those taken with a dome port...I don't like the distortion.

My least favorite is those with divers in them, especially divers hamming it up. A diver silhouette is OK but the diver better have their gear tucked in neatly or becomes a bad example and irritating to look at.

I really prefer the macro close-up stuff and it's also what I have fun shootong.

My least favorite are shots with divers in them. I truly hate those shots with dive models staring through their clear masks wearing no BC or wings just a back plate of some sort. They are so contrived.

Although I do like some wreck shots showing the diver with a light over the large wreck.

DSDO

Alan

swankenstein:
Here's a question: What sort of underwater pictures do you like to see? I don't mean what kind of pictures do you tend to take with your particular setup, but if you were looking at a dive magazine or book, what style/format/subject matter/etc. would really pop out at you?

Let me preface my comments. I'm a So Cal diver - we dive in cold water, with kelp, rocks and some fish. We don't get huge palegics, we don't get colorful reef fish, we don't see divers in multi-colored lycra "suits" and lame purple AL80's. All that tropical crapola is lost on me, and means nothing. I don't dive that, and to me its so much travel brochure nonsense.

As a new UW photographer, I've been giving this a lot of thought. I want pictures of diving that represent what I see, so I can take them to my dry family and loved ones and say "see... this is what I see down there... this is the attraction..."

Here's my list:

* Reef scenes have to be at the bottom of my list. Too played.

* Slightly above reef scenes on the stale-o-meter are Macros. Without a scale of reference, a Nudi could be godzilla like in porportion... I'll never know. I don't have a Macro Mask - I don't press my grill into the critters to get a closer look. I really, really am not a fan or Macros. Close up, OK... with some scale of reference, preferably.

* I hate pics washed in blue/green.

* Divers in pretty colors over reef, sponges, rocks and that ilk can get tossed, too. Hate them. This isn't Sandals - Its the So Cal Pacific.

* I love stuff with other stuff. When I look down, I see Cucumbers with Stars. I see urchins with Kelp. I see lobsters in rocks, and I see sand and plants and ledges, and all manner of life intermingling. I don't see nearly enough invertabrates, plants and other non-fishies in pics. Tube anemone's are gorgeous, Limpets are whimsical. There is tons of that stuff down there... I want pictures that reflect what its like down there.

* Not everything is alive. Urchins, Limpets, Snails, Abalone, fish, even plants (like fans.) Their bodies are part of the ecosystem, and can often be beautiful in decay. I was stunned when I dove Puget Sound in September, at how thick the bottom was with shells and shell fragments. Very rugged. A colorful macro shot of a 2" Nudi blown up to fill a 4x6 frame would be very disengenuous to the experience I had up there.

* I want scale - I love tiny divers descending onto huge wrecks, in such a murk that their HID is a pin light revealing the rusting giant as they drop (sort of like VT's stuff...) There are few things more exciting than descending down a line into nothingness, and slowly seeing a huge outline appear, then some larger details, then that oh-my-gosh feeling when it all comes into view.

* I want to see the recognizable being taken over by the sea - a car, a tank, a plane, a helecopter. I love those. Stuff out of its element, and losing the battle to retain some sort of above-water identity. That stuff interests me.

* I like UW portraits - pictures of people I love doing the thing that they love. I love taking shots of my buddy on the descent, during a stop, etc. I want them to have pics of themselves underwater. That's important to me.

* Topography - Swim throughs, vents, pinnacles, shapes. The other night (I didn't bring the cam, like a dolt) I was diving in about 25', and the sand was so amazing. That beautiful undulating egg-carton sand. And right across this perfectly formed scene was a tral, like someone walking on air took a stick and dragged it across. The sand was so white, the pattern so symetrical, and the snail trail (or whatever) was so straight - it was the coolest thing. I would have taken a shot of that.

Anyway - maybe I'm twisted. I just find no interest in replecating textbook type macro photos of little stuff, or solo fish flating in space against a blue/green or black back ground. Its all too sterile and institutional for me. I'll save that for the biologists and school districts.

K

Mo2vation:
* I want scale - I love tiny divers descending onto huge wrecks, in such a murk that their HID is a pin light revealing the rusting giant as they drop (sort of like VT's stuff...) There are few things more exciting than descending down a line into nothingness, and slowly seeing a huge outline appear, then some larger details, then that oh-my-gosh feeling when it all comes into view.

* Topography - Swim throughs, vents, pinnacles, shapes. The other night (I didn't bring the cam, like a dolt) I was diving in about 25', and the sand was so amazing. That beautiful undulating egg-carton sand. And tight across this perfectly formed scene was a tral, like someone walking on air took a stick and dragged it actoss. The sane was so white, the pattern so symetrical, and the snail trail (or whatever) was so straight - it was the coolest thing. I would have taken a shot of that.

Yeah...me, too. Although I do like macros, I like something there for scale. And I do get a rush when a ship looms into view. The topography 'down there' is truly amazing whether you're seeing vast expanses of textured sand or towering coral heads with sandy trails between them, I get the same quickness of breath I get when standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon.

Back
Top Bottom