What kind of strobe should i get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Birdman77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a cannon A620 and plan on getting a cannon wp-dc90 underwater housing. Do you have any thoughts of what kind of strobe I should get that's a decent price?

Either an Inon Z240 or Sea & Sea YS 110 - both very versatile and will last you should you progress to DSLR some day.

I have a Canon housing for my S500 and bought a YS-110 strobe for it. Now I just bought a D200 and am glad I originally bought something that is compatable with a DSLR.

Spot on advice...buy a strobe that will move with you, if you can.

If you can't (the price difference isn't that much overall, but may put things out of reach for some!), then simply plan on selling the strobe when you move up. You likely will "lose" a bit in the end, but will have had a working strobe for your current system so that's a "gain"!

What's decent for you?

I would head to Inon strobes as they are small, light, fast to recycle and give good light. They also take AA batteries which is nice.

The Ikelite D51s are nice, too.

Sea & Sea make some nice strobes - the new 110, for instance.

Strobes aren't cheap - usually you'll pay a bit more for a good strobe than you will on a compact + manufacturer's housing! But it's well worth it, imho.

If you think this is soemthing you will be doing for a while, make sure to get a forward compatible strobe (one that can be fired by fibre optic now and by a synch cable later) so it can move with you.

Thanks everyone for the advice I guess this means I got some saving to do. I'm new to the game and just got my cert a year ago and so im slowly workin my way up on gear.

What is your budget? FYI I wound up spending $840 or something, including tax, on my YS-110 strobe with the VII arm kit from Sea $ Sea, along with the fiber optic cable. The arms will work with a Sea $ Sea housing for my D200, so money saved there not repurchasing arms. There may be some other small items in there too. Dolphin Scuba has taken great care of me for those items and had them drop shipped to me in plenty of time for a past trip.

Here is the strobe finder link http://www.digitaldiver.net/strobes.php

Strobe is cut out of the picture but you can get an idea of what the VII arm looks like.
peter_144.gif

One more question. What kind of specs should I look for when buying a strobe. Because I'm thinking of buying a cheaper one and resaling it when I get the money for a better one.

In reality, the strobe can be purchased used, and maybe even with a tray and arm kit. Others are upgrading and it is a good way for you to get started at a reduced sum.

I will say, I like having a target light. I consider that important for aiming, and I shine it into cracks etc. since my other light is not deployed. Others might not think the target light is necessary. Since you are going to only be using one strobe brightness is going to be important. Recovery time will not be important as your internal flash will take a few seconds to come alive. It must be optically fired, since that is how it is going to be triggered with your camera.

Make sure to read Alcina's pink link in her signature as it is full of info for underwater photography.

strobe 1
strobe 2
strobe 3
strobe 4
strobe 5
strobe 6

I am not recommending any of the ones posted above, as I have not researched them, but used can be a good way to go. Many are barely used. Also check http://www.digitaldiver.net/wantads.php and http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showforum=6 along with other websites.

Thanks for the help sorry for asking so many questions i just dont wanna spend all this money for somethin thats not worth it and isnt what i need

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom