What kind of rubber are weight belts made of?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one common denominator is none have fabric reinforcement, which would prevent stretch. Some are cut from sheet and punched while others are compression molded. Durometer and thickness vary. I “assume” that the actual formulations also vary.

I came across a three foot+ long remnant of 2"x1/4" 40 durometer sheet neoprene for $7.00 and I'm considering making my own weight belt using a SS webbing buckle. Is this just a plain dumb-ass idea?

Interesting question, which I certainly can't answer. But, I bet if you PM Dano (MAKO Spearguns), you will get an informed answer. I have found him to be very responsive to questions.

The issue with using a metal buckle and rubber belt is that it is too thick and will squish when clamped. I have use metal buckles but I make the last section of belt nylon strap. This means that you have to figure a transition method. It can be done with several weight slides non serrated no teeth for rubber section. Also the buckle on one end and the rubber joint on the other makes it hard to adjust weights

I came across a three foot+ long remnant of 2"x1/4" 40 durometer sheet neoprene for $7.00 and I'm considering making my own weight belt using a SS webbing buckle. Is this just a plain dumb-ass idea?

It is much more difficult to pre-stretch a rubber belt with a conventional cam-style buckle that the Marseille-style. As Dumpster mentioned, the normal thickness rubber belt is also too thick for a cam buckle. Quarter inch material will be too thick to lace through weights and too stiff to easily stretch. Rubber belts are in the 1/8" thickness range. My compression molded Mako varies from .11" to .16" at the ribs.

Here is an image of the Marseille-style buckle. Basically a typical belt buckle on steroids. Note the roller on the outer loop that helps reduce friction when you are stretching the belt.

Attachments

• mfdwb_sml.jpg
    mfdwb_sml.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 84
Thanks for the replies they were all very useful, especially re the thickness,

If you don't find the answer here you could try on Spearboard since rubber belts come from the freediving side of diving.

If you don't find the answer here you could try on Spearboard since rubber belts come from the freediving side of diving.

Freediving! Gasp, I thought that was for the poor people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom