What kind of mounts are people using?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been using one of these aluminum mounts (found on eBay) for years attached to a Snake River Prototyping tray.

A7288971-6FD1-4949-8B26-611647C0D67B.jpeg

I also use a cheap, yet surprisingly well made, two handled tray. It's a bit negatively buoyant, but not enough to matter to me. If I ever add lights, I would add some floats, but would still keep it ever so slightly negative. I have one of those 1/4-20 to GoPro mounts, with an intermediate link, then the cam. I feel it helps me position the camera a bit more forward to avoid catching the handles, my hands, or other superfluous random stuff in the edges of the frame. I also use a coiled lanyard, clipped to my crotch D-ring, to prevent any loss of the overall unit, and a small tether from the waterproof housing's hinge pin to the tray itself, should any connecting component fail.

Back to the tray itself, I feel that using two hands really helps keep the cam stable. Head mounted, whether mask, head strap, or helmet mounted has overall given very poor results, IMO. We just move out heads too much for decent footage. At least with a tray, you can film a subject while still looking around and being aware of your surroundings....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom