what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Obsessed weekend (mostly) diver with the very occasional diving holiday.

I literally dive every weekend. I had a run of over 6 years where I dived at least once every weekend. Last year I had some medical issues: missed three weekends, dived the next 4 weekends, had surgery, missed the next 6 weekends, dived 2, missed one, dived 2, missed one, and haven't missed a weekend since 19 October 2019.

Last trip away was September 2017. While I do enjoy diving in exotic locations I hate the travel (packing, luggage, kids kicking the back of your seat, morons at the luggage carousel, etc.)

The diving here in Sydney is so good I love it! Even described a new species of pipefish found right off Sydney!

I am a Caribbean diver. A mid-Atlantic diver. A Florida diver. A Springs and Cenote diver. And as last resort a quarry diver.

I drive and fly to dive.

i am an amateur uw photographer. A hunter. A solo diver that also buddy dives.

I am a wetsuit diver. A drysuit diver.

I have dove single tank and sidemount doubles.

I dive on days off, weekends and vacations.

So what kind of diver am I?
a Warm water diver? I dived Fantasy lake in march it was 50 degrees, and post hurricane or tornado or something it was awful.

I was certified in 1980 and spent most of my married life free diving. Once I got rid of the wife, I became much more dive oriented (starting about 9 years ago). I have my own gear including tanks and dry and wet suits. The majority of my diving is NE US Shore diving. I reserve my Sundays for diving and had about 30 this year. Covid took a poop on the first half of the season, but there is always next year. I would like to retire somewhere warm with low cost of living and year round diving....
you're not far from me 2 hours south maybe, once the covid19 restrictions are removed there's a lot of dive locations along the entire new england coast I plan to dive, when I do Connecticut and Rhode Island I will hit you up. with 91 in my backyard I can hit most coastal spots within 21/2 to 3 hours.

a Warm water diver? I dived Fantasy lake in march it was 50 degrees, and post hurricane or tornado or something it was awful.
Yes, in my heart I hate to be cold. But to get to dive? I dove the local quarry on my birthday this year. 52 degrees.

I had plans for Monterey this fall but alas, it didn’t happen.

(But my point was that I dislike labels.)

I would describe my diving as "economical." Im not obsessed with diving, but I do really enjoy it.

Most of my diving is local shore diving (Monterey & Carmel are 2 hrs away). I go about once a month. I own all equipment except tanks. Solid equipment, nothing fancy.

As my wife doesnt dive, my vacations aren't divecentric. I fit in diving wherever we happen to go. For example, our last vacation was in Catalonia, not exactly a dive destination. I got one morning of dives in the Cap de Creus. Vacation before that I got two mornings of diving in Cancun & Playa del Carmen.

Last training was AOW 15 years ago. I havent even got Nitrox, as never had a great need for it. I was actually going to do that this past summer, except COVID. I should probably do rescue, but havent gotten to it. So I dont feel the need to expand my training, or get fancy equipment, I'm fine just diving, diving, diving, seeing the pretty fish and the goofy mammals.

I try to dive everywhere I go—both work-related and personal trips. Sometimes I get lucky and end up going to great places for diving. I went diving in the beautiful waters of San Andres, Colombia thanks to a work trip, in Puerto Rico while on vacation, the Keys for work and vacation, Monterey CA for work, and so on... so I’m certainly not just a vacation diver.

When home I try to dive atleast 1 day a week. Been doing about 3-5 days a week last couple months.

I prefer to vacation dive in warm 80F+, 50ft+ high viz water. My favorite are big animals (ie. whale sharks) but like smaller animals too.

But if I'm home, its Southern California. Sandy bottoms, kelp, and/or rock formations. 53 - 62 F. 5-12 ft viz, surge.

Diving a little over 2 years, 180 dives. Maybe 110 dives vacation.

I am approaching my 100 dive mark and I am diving 2 to 4 times a week this winter. I am very blessed to be surrounded by guys who have been doing it a long time so my learning curve has been accelerated compared to if I had to figure it out on my own. We run a restaurant and its very slow here my tourist town in the winter so I have plenty of time to dive in the winter months. Artifact hunting led me to diving in the Dark waters of the Low Country. I am very much at home in the low viz of the dark water and find my Zen there. I own all my gear and plan on Diving till I fly off to Heaven....

I'm fascinated by water. Looking back every vacation I've ever taken the family on has been near the sea. I'm not a fan of beaches or sand or even people (although I enjoy the sight of the lovely ladies that tend to frequent there:)). My wife being one of them.

I just love the water. The pool, the hot tub, even the bottom of the deep end as a kid. You get to that place where you're at peace and the water is all around you. Diving just allows me to take that a step further and stay a little longer.

I dive as often as my wallet and my time allows in whatever body of water I can get in. Most of the time it's a quarry, but every once in a while I get something different. I'm pretty happy either way.

I own all my own gear and then some. I dive a drysuit and doubles. I'm in my mid 30's, and reading everyone else's stories gives me a lot of hope that there really is a whole world to explore out there and thankfully I've got the time to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom