what kayak should I look for

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seaworm

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Are cobra fish and dive kayak or ocean kayak better? I'm from the great lakes of Michigan and looking to vencher not far from shore. I may put a minn kota motor on it. That's new in the market for scuba diving kayaks

I have no brand preference but the most important thing to look for first in any dive kayak is how much weight it is rated to carry. The kayak does not need to be made for diving as long as it is a sit up top kayak. I use an OK Malibu 2, that can be paddled by either 1 or 2 people so it is rated to carry more weight then most singles but is not set up as a dive kayak. The closer you get to the weight limit of your kayak the harder it will be to paddle and it will also not track straight very well either. You should be looking for a kayak that can handle at least 400-450lbs.

I have the Hobie Odyssey that I use for fishing but would not hesitate to use it for diving. For the reasons noted above, it is a 2 man Kayak that can be used solo and can hold quite a bit of weight, with stability. As also mentioned, the OK Malibu 2 is often recommended and may be a good option as well. The Hobie's generally cost much more than comparable kayaks but I feel that they have more features such as seats, cleats, storage wells, etc, and some come with a paddle. Hope this is helpful

I have 3 fish N dive kayaks they plow through the water but I dont have to worry about capsizing. All 3 of us are 225lbs or better. We do 2 tank trips on them. I started out on a narrower kayak (1 tank) and it is too nerve racking wondering if you are going to tip, of course I have.

I have an OK Prowler Big Game - 600lbs weight capacity. 13ft with a rudder. Its an oasis at sea. Pack 2 tanks with associated gear. Also food, water gps etc. and then I bring my freedive stuff and rod and reel stuff. I can go lobster diving with my tanks. Once they're burned up I take a break (more life SI) rod and reel a bit. Then grab my speargun and dive with that. I'm on the water all day! Unbelievable stability.
The tradeoff: speed - when I do my spearfishing competitions I am the slowest on the circuit.
Just have to out-dive them then :)

Attachments

• 00S0S_kNsFNAJ3opY_300x300.jpg
    00S0S_kNsFNAJ3opY_300x300.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 161
  • 487046_10100950672835901_1208785980_n.jpg
    487046_10100950672835901_1208785980_n.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 141
I currently own the Malibu 2 and a Trident 14 (it may be a 15) The Trident tracks much better and can be used for a two tank set up. I do like the Malibu better for diving close to shore. It is more sturdy and easier to get to your equipment. It can also be used for a two tank set up. I have never had any issues with weight or weight distribution on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom