What isn't a good idea to buy online?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyingSquid

Registered
Reaction score
Wetsuit, I get it. It's better to try it on for best fit.

What else better not to buy online?

(Although I'd be curious to know of your fit-maximizing online-wetsuit-buying tricks)

Mask, for the same reason - fit. Unless you've already used the same brand/model.

Potentially regulators or anything else you might need serviced. Lots of variables here.

Cylinders can be expensive to ship.

I used to also say weights; but if the sellers are smart enough to use USPS Priority Mail, shipping can be a bargain.

Even if it's fit related (mask, wetsuit, fins, boots, gloves, hoods, etc), it's not such a big issue with policies like this:

PFF Guaranty Program Information | LeisurePro.com

Even if it's purchased online, most gear can be serviced by any authorized dealer.

My general advice: anything you are comfortable buying online and is available with the price/service you expect.

You have to read the fine print on LeisurePro PFF Guaranty. When I ordered wetsuits to try on, they only paid return shipping if you reordered the same wetsuit, only a different size. Then if you aren't happy with any size on that particular model you are stuck paying return shipping which can be $20 or more. After that experience I always buy wetsuits from local shops even if they are a bit more expensive.

It depends, you have to strike a balance. Most of the major online retailers now have a return-if-it-doesn't-fit policy. So other than the convenience of time, it's not that huge of a difference buying from a shop VS online. But keep in mind what would happen if you don't support your local shop and it goes out of business.

Some shops are better than others. Some have employees that are very knowledgeable and helpful for your gear needs, and being there in person gives you the addition of visual props to look at and fiddle with. Others, you'd be better off relying on the members of scubaboard to try to describe it out in writing.

For me, if my local dive shop goes out of buisness, I couldn't get things like free coffee out of the Keurig, free cuddles with the shop dogs, free cookies, donuts, and sweets, the phone number of that cute girl at the scuba club meeting, oh yeah and not to mention a local place to service my equipment and fill my tanks.

Now my shop doesn't stock everything, but if I'm saving a few dollars on a battery kit that has to be ordered anyways, I'll still pay more to support my shop.
Online shopping is a great way to save money. But having a local home base for your scuba needs is something the online community cannot fill.

The better question is what to buy used vs new. Much of my gear was purchased used and has successfully completed hundreds of dives since I purchased the gear, and I am planning on using the gear for many more years to come. Best bang for the buck is often used, especially if you are handy.

Most all of my new gear comes from online just out of convenience. I find it easier to shop on my computer and have it delivered to my door for less money. Nothing against my LDS's, they just don't stock what I need...like NITROX, so I won an auction on Ebay and solved the issue of Nitrox for myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom