What is your worst dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My worst dive doesn't compare to many of yours, but here goes. A couple months ago, I was going out on a boat trip. It was my first boat trip in a long time (most of the diving I do is shore diving, in which we descend into 20 feet of water, and then swim out to depth....or sometimes it doesn't get much deeper). It was also the first dive I did with my regular buddy (hubby) in probably two months.

The captain and DM were less than helpful in telling us where the "reef" (small platform) was, so we were all kind of on our own. We get in the water and are ready to drop down. The bottom was 80+ feet away, and I was aware of that. My buddy and I signalled that we were ready to descend, so we dumped air and started the descent. He started actively swimming down, while I wanted to drop down horizontally and nearly neutral. I have ear issues, so fast descents aren't my thing. Buddy realizes he's ahead of me, so he stops to wait....I catch up and signal that my ear is not cooperating easily and I'd need to take my time....he says okay but somehow ended up dropping quickly again. At this point, I'm in mid-water, with little visibility, and other people are dropping faster than me. Bubbles are coming up while I'm going "down"....I'm getting disoriented. I look at my depth gauge....48 feet....less than 40 to go....drop for a little bit....look at my gauge again....40 feet. WTH????!!!!???? How am I going up? I'm so disoriented at this time that I dump some more air, ignore my ears again, try to find a reference to continue my descent.

By the time I finally made it to the bottom and located my buddy, we both looked at each other waiting for the other to lead. It's our normal understanding that he leads, but he wanted me to....I didn't want to because I had no idea where we were going, was kind of freaked out from my stupid descent, and the visibility was crap (oh, this "platform", which I'm not convinced exists, was on a sandy bottom, with nothing else around). Finally, I convince my buddy to lead and he takes off. We're completely silted out because everyone is (unsuccessfully) looking for this stupid platform. We'd swim into and then out of silt clouds, which was kind of disorienting. I was frustrated, he was frustrated, we couldn't find anything, and decided to call the dive.

The ascent was almost as fun as the descent. I'm finding that I'm not good at this mid-water stuff....we're trying to ascend with no reference and it's playing games with my head. I always ascend horizontally and nearly neutral....I can't get myself to do this for some reason. At some point, I was so frustrated that I decided to swim myself up and dump as necessary to keep myself just slightly positive.

Everything about that dive sucked. But nothing went majorly wrong....it was just that I didn't feel like I was in control at all and had no idea how to make it better. I need to work on my mid-water stuff....and my buddy and I desperately need to work on communication.

Last edited:
well, odds are, I won't DIE if I have a bad day at work :wink:

I think I would have to fully agree with the above statement.

I was sick and dehydrated and I got very overheated in my drysuit working my way through the beginning of that cave. I was very close to passing out and had to go really really slow on the way out. I had to remove my hood, flood my drysuit some and drink a ton of spring water on exit.
it was a dumb dive I never should've done in the first place...

ligersandtions:
Everything about that dive sucked. But nothing went majorly wrong....it was just that I didn't feel like I was in control at all and had no idea how to make it better. I need to work on my mid-water stuff....and my buddy and I desperately need to work on communication.

Ligers, that dive sounds a lot like the one I wrote about. Nothing truly dangerous, but really no fun at all. I empathize with the midwater stuff, and from what you wrote, you have the same problem I do . . . Since almost all of your diving is shore diving, you don't DO long descents and ascents regularly, and don't get any practice with them.

I don't know where you guys have a site that's benign enough to do practice dives, but it will help a lot if you can hook up with somebody who's comfortable doing free ascents and shooting a bag, and do some dives where you deliberate ascend from somewhat deeper water. I did (and still do, when I can) a TON of such dives, working on my own midwater disorientation issues.

One thing about being above other divers -- Not only do the bubbles interfere with your visual reference, but they get trapped in your drysuit and gear and can make you positive, as well. You really have to listen to your suit and your ears when you're trapped in a bubble cloud (and watch your gauge, but the other things are far more immediate feedback).

I dived with a fish collector who was diving to 250 feet on air. When he woke up at 200 feet, he saw his gear still at 250 and decided it was time to ascend.

I don't know where you guys have a site that's benign enough to do practice dives, but it will help a lot if you can hook up with somebody who's comfortable doing free ascents and shooting a bag, and do some dives where you deliberate ascend from somewhat deeper water. I did (and still do, when I can) a TON of such dives, working on my own midwater disorientation issues.

We actually have a perfect site for this kind of training....and I have been talking about doing exactly that....but it's a matter of convincing someone to go out and do it with me (long surface swim, "boring" site). Though I know at least a couple people who are either planning to take Essentials very soon (with me) or have already moved on to more advanced training that would probably be happy to take me out.

It would be a good opportunity to learn to shoot a bag anyways....another one of those things that I want to learn to do but don't want to learn to do incorrectly and have my Essentials instructor beat the bad habits out of me!

Back
Top Bottom