What is your Recommended online US Scuba Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I happened to go back last month when I was in NC, and what a change. Some clown, who seemed to be in charge that day, was behind the counter when I came in, apparently arguing on the phone with a customer about a class, essentially telling the person on the other end of the phone everything that the shop was NOT going to do - at least that was my surmise, based on hearing only one side of the conversation. When he finally slammed the phone down (apparently, the customer pissed him off), I asked where the owner was, and was told that the guy was dead - died a couple of months before. I left, and won't be going back.

You're not alone in feeling that way. Scott was the glue that held everything together and had a real passion for diving and his customers. I know of other customers of Down Under who won't be going back because of the current management of the shop.

You're not alone in feeling that way. Scott was the glue that held everything together and had a real passion for diving and his customers. I know of other customers of Down Under who won't be going back because of the current management of the shop.

Scott meant a lot to so many divers in the area because of his willingness to meet customers needs and promote the sport. I don't expect anybody to replace Scott and understand that there are kinks to work out in running the shop now, but the current "we won't" attitude prevalent now at the shop are going to quickly put them out of business.

I have found my LDS to be the best place to purchase most gear. I go in with cash and say I want this, here is what I am willing to pay today. I generally pay less then what you can find online. Remember the Manufacture Minimum Advertised Price. Advertised is the keyword here. LDS's do not make money by having stock sitting on the Rack. Unless they are a major high volume site, they will make deals. I do not mind paying a little extra through for good Customer service.

I do use Online sites and a place to bench my bidding with the LDS.

With that buying from a LDS, sure helps if anything goes wrong with the Gear. One of my new Z3's had flaking on the Din threads, after a few uses. I walked in, showed them, they popped it off, and put a new one on.

The Lack of Manufacture Minimum Advertised Price, really killed the Paintball industry back in the 90's. Everyone was undercutting on the internet, and the shops could not make any sells. This in turn shut down their business and fields. LDS's need to sell too.

All that said, the gear I have bought on line as all been from eBay. Any used Regulator you get, you are going to have rebuilt anyways, and then it is basically brand new. LDS you have rebuild it, does not need to know it came from eBay.

If you do not like your LDS, find another one. If there are not others, try at the Dive site. Build a reputation... If people are jerks, show the Boss your cash and walk out.

I have been lucky here in Florida, every dive shop I have been in has been great.

I love DRIS, but they were a bit needy this morning:

needydris.jpg

Apparently they really, really, really, really, really, really, really want my feedback. =)

-B

+1 for Scubatoys. I'm headed up there this afternoon to drop off some regs and pick up a couple items.

Also, LP, DRIS and Divers-Supply

I have to put my $.02 in. I was looking for fins and a few other items online. Lets face it, that is where the best deals are. However, After hunting around for a local shop that carried the fins I was looking I found one that did. The place, EZ Scuba, here in Tampa. They do what most shops won't, They will match ANY online price as long at the online place has it in stock. I roved that with my fins. Air fills are a different matter, they are on the high side of fills. I get Air for $3.50 if I buy the air card and $5 without, Nitrox is just a $2 to $3 more at my normal place. The guy there said it was $9 air and $14 for Nitrox.

I will go there to buy my gear as they can match it on price.

THE BAD: They say NO REFUNDS. Thats it period apparently on the receipt I was given. So if you buy something you better make damn sure you like it and it fits. Until I see something otherwise that is the word I was given

As far as Online shops, I use Divers-supply, Leisure Pro, and scuba.com. Free shipping is a MAJOR plus even if the minimum is $40-50. I can easily spend that much, wife does not like it , but I could. There is one other place that sold used gear that I cannot remember, most of it was BP/W, computers, and a few vintage parts, but it was a good shop it looked like. Anyone know what it was?

BDSC:
You're not alone in feeling that way. . . . I know of other customers of Down Under who won't be going back because of the current management of the shop.
. . . but the current "we won't" attitude prevalent now at the shop are going to quickly put them out of business.
I appreciate the feedback - I thought that as an outsider I was possibly missing something.

'We won't ' - that really sums it up. That is basically the message I kept hearing in the conversation I overheard - and I do think the guy's name was 'Aaron', at least that rings a bell. I couldn't say, based on my limited experience, that 'a good guy' is a phrase that would be even a remotely accurate description. I will stop by Air Hogs next time I am in the area. Greensboro is a bit more out of the way for me.

Aaron is the "shop manager" and I guess runs the show now. I can tell you for a fact that a lot of people including instructors and DM's there tolerated Aaron because they liked Scott. Now that he is in charge I guess, people are taking notice of things. I hope someone will buy the shop before it's too late.

In addition to those already mentioned, NESS (North East Scuba Supply) is a very good shop, and they sometimes have had certain items that are not available from DRIS or DiveSeekers, for example I have ordered all my reels and spools there, and I have always been very satisfied with the service, and the quality of the product.

Back
Top Bottom