What is your motivation to solo dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving = less noise/bubbles/movement = more big stuffs.
But solo diving means nobody to supervise my gas switches so I bring 1 deco max on solo dives

I started doing more solo because a lot of the insta buddies don’t seem to stick to a dive plan or even want to have one, understand how to handle an out of air issue, or have the basic awareness of where their buddy is!

I am not sure what is actually being taught in OW these days but many people do not seem to have the basic skills. Maybe it is just the resorts kicking out people for the money.

Which has worked well forever after which your responsibility for learning begins

A few months ago I conducted some interviews on the podcast about this subject.

Round Table Discussion: Solo Diving
In this Round Table Discussion, I have a conversation with Scubaboard members Glenn(Wibble) and Gordon(Searcaigh) about their thoughts on solo diving.

Round Table Discussion: Solo Diving 2
Joining The Round Table this week are guests Jill Heinerth, Mel Briscoe, James Mott, and Mike Gault. I sit down with this amazing group of divers and hear their thoughts about solo diving.

On 16th November 12:00AM (EST) is the release of the last interview I conducted in this series. Hopefully I will have some more Round Tables on this subject in the near future.

Always open to ideas for Round Tables. If you have an idea or want to come onto the podcast, reach out and lets set something up.

i agree with you. Being alone you pay much more attention to details and your surrounding.
Locally, visibility is not great. So, to dive with a buddy, you need to CONSTANTLY check on your buddy, or you lose them. I even temporarily lose dive-buddies while watching them.

Zero visibility makes it difficult to dive with a buddy.
A few of the spots I dive, are zero-vis. You can't even see the dive-computer 2 inches from your mask. I generally feel my way along the bottom, move slowly, and of course have some over-powered cutting tools (for entanglements). The reason I like diving those, is because I find some great loot (sunglasses, etc).

A few of the spots I dive, are zero-vis. You can't even see the dive-computer 2 inches from your mask. I generally feel my way along the bottom, move slowly, and of course have some over-powered cutting tools (for entanglements). The reason I like diving those, is because I find some great loot (sunglasses, etc).

"Dumpster diving" taken literally lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom