What is with DIR and Rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIR guys have a really good history of using rebreathers. the MCEP guys in Mexico, OCDA crew at Roubidoux (and others), EKPP, Asian Karst Exploration Project in the Philippines, and of course the WKPP all currently use RB80 rebreathers for their long range diving, and the JJCCR has been in use for a few years now. Clearly they can be used safely and within the DIR framework.

I can't comment about the CCR program, but the RB80 mirrors the OC procedures nearly perfectly, from MODs to deco to gas switches, and I think that there is a lot of strength in that.

Are you talking about the same device described here?
UTD MX Rebreather warning

Yes they run it full manual. No leaky valve, no solenoid. Seems like a bit of a pita to me but I have run my rig in full manual before as an exercise and its really not a big deal. I had the solenoid set at 0.7 but ran my Meg at 1.2 just to see what the fuss was about. If you knew AD_ward you'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. For years he promised the world's greatest CCR, took people's money and didn't deliver squat. The Apoc finally comes out 3+yrs later and honestly its just another CCR, albeit a rather complicated one. His database of "accidents" on deep-life is riddled with errors too.

All that said, UTD full manual CCR has not actually killed anyone yet (that I know of). So all that drama is just that, drama. If you don't like their approach don't buy one and don't get UTD CCR training, simple.

Yes they run it full manual. No leaky valve, no solenoid. Seems like a bit of a pita to me but I have run my rig in full manual before as an exercise and its really not a big deal. I had the solenoid set at 0.7 but ran my Meg at 1.2 just to see what the fuss was about. If you knew AD_ward you'd take anything he says with a grain of salt. For years he promised the world's greatest CCR, took people's money and didn't deliver squat. The Apoc finally comes out 3+yrs later and honestly its just another CCR, albeit a rather complicated one. His database of "accidents" on deep-life is riddled with errors too.

all that said, UTD full manual CCR has not actually killed anyone yet (that I know of). So all that drama is just that, drama. If you don't like their approach don't buy one and don't get UTD CCR training, simple.

I know you know the difference but for full discolure for those that don't. There is a big difference running a low setpoint and manually adjusting your PO2 to the desired level and running with no oxygen delivery system other than your manual inject system. AD was not the only one who sounded the whistle on this very asinine system.
MX 90 Danger!!!

I know you know the difference but for full discolure for those that don't. There is a big difference running a low setpoint and manually adjusting your PO2 to the desired level and running with no oxygen delivery system other than your manual inject system. AD was not the only one who sounded the whistle on this very asinine system.
MX 90 Danger!!!

Well that was a different AG stupid moment lol

Yes if you run any CCR as an O2 only unit, goofing around in a pool etc, loop volume prevents you from inhaling before hypoxia can do anything. But on a real dive, that purported "warning" doesn't exist. To say that people haven't died from hypoxia is just friggin' stupid.

At least for me, at my normal leisurely pace, the time for the O2 to decay from 1.2 to 1.0 is fairly substantial as long as I'm not ascending. Substantial = 4 to 5 mins, I wasn't timing it precisely. My O2 consumption is about 0.8 L/min. I was at roughly 90-110ft as I played with the "run it manual with a low setpoint parachute" concept.

Spoken like a true salesman :)

Some of my regular buddies are instructors for the agency (OC only). Their students generally have their sh*t together so I am happy with that. Sometimes I DM for them which is a fun way to spend a few days yo-yoing up and down while videoing student bags shoots and OOA ascents etc. But otherwise I have no stake in UTD and I don't think anyone around here has one of their CCRs. Limeyx sold his (one of the early ISC made units) last year.

Back
Top Bottom