What is this guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDownD3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just getting into photography and took a picture of this guy on the Caribsea in NC a few weeks ago. Can anyone ID it? I've tried looking it up and can't figure it out

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1501340827727.jpg
    FB_IMG_1501340827727.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 162
It's a sea cucumber, what species, I don't know. It is an echinoderm, so t's related to starfish, sea urchins, and sand dollars.

They are fairly common in NC. I do not know if several species or just varied colors but I have seen them all the way from speckled like you to blotchy to mostly brown to a dark purple (once earlier this year)

cuke.JPG
cuke2.JPG
cuke3.JPG
cuke4.JPG

And no .. you cannot make a salad out of it ... :stirpot:

A Chinese restaurant here had it on the menu, expensive.

I was served sea cucumber at a banquet in China.
It tasted kinda like boiled elastic bands and had the same consistency. Ugh!

I was served sea cucumber at a banquet in China.
It tasted kinda like boiled elastic bands and had the same consistency. Ugh!
:(

I'll stick with our Americanized versions of Chinese foods.

Getting off topic but overall, I very much enjoyed the food in China, far better than American/Chinese. Sea cucumber, however,was not to my taste. Better, IMO, to leave them in the ocean.

It's a sea cucumber, what species, I don't know. It is an echinoderm, so t's related to starfish, sea urchins, and sand dollars.

Possibly not yet fully mature chocolate chip cucumber (isostichopus badionotus).

Regards,.

DocVikingo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom