what is this for??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Winterpeg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband bought an Akona gear bag around 1998 when he first took up diving. It's a large one (we can fit both BC's, both sets of fins, and then in outside pockets, both sets of boots). We are currently packing for a trip :D:D (haven't been diving since last March, can't wait!) and in the pocket where we put our boots, I found a smaller bag tucked inside. I guess it's been there since the gear bag was new and we never noticed it. It's a lightweight nylon drawstring bag for carrying gear to the boat or beach, but at the bottom end there is a panel of heavy cordura-type nylon attached, and at the end of the panel there are 3 D rings. (see photo). We cannot figure out what this panel and D rings are for. I tried the Akona web site, but I guess the bag is too old and is no longer listed. Has anyone ever seen one of these?

Attachments

• DSC08837.jpg
    DSC08837.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 171
I believe that is a travel cover/sand guard that Akona used to include with most of their bags. You can lay it down on the beach (if shore diving) to keep the sand out. One of mine enclosed my bag entirely, allowing me to travel with it that way.

Got one too and I too have no idea of its purpose......:confused:

I believe that is a travel cover/sand guard that Akona used to include with most of their bags. You can lay it down on the beach (if shore diving) to keep the sand out. One of mine enclosed my bag entirely, allowing me to travel with it that way.

Thanks, that does help. But then what is that small rectangular heavier piece of fabric on one end?

The rectangular piece with the three plastic d-rings should fit into a zippered pouch near the bottom rear of the dive bag, where it is stored until needed. You can attach the d-rings inside the pouch and pull the rest of the bag out to use it for a cover or ground cloth, and it wont get separated.

Never used the cover, but one was included in each of our Akona roller bags. We only use the bags for air travel, and switch to light mesh boat bags for any actual dive applications, so I have never done more with the covers than look at them, and re-stow them in the bags, just in case I ever do need them.

The rectangular piece with the three plastic d-rings should fit into a zippered pouch near the bottom rear of the dive bag, where it is stored until needed. You can attach the d-rings inside the pouch and pull the rest of the bag out to use it for a cover or ground cloth, and it wont get separated.

Coralcop, you are brilliant!:kiss2: I posted this question on 3 different forums (first this one, then Basic Scuba Discussions, and finally on the Akona forum), and no one, until you - not even the Akona rep - was able to tell me what that piece with the D rings was for. Sure enough, at the bottom of the back of the bag, underneath the zipper where the straps come out to wear the bag as a backpack, there are 3 little buckles that line up perfectly with the D rings. (Never noticed them before, hidden inside.) So if you clip those to the D rings and then seat the bag on top of the rectangle to weight it, you could use the remainder of the bag as a sort of sand cover/tarp to put equipment on while shore diving. Not sure if we ever will, we don't do much shore diving, but at least I have now solved the mystery :D

Back
Top Bottom