What is the most logical place to put an Octopus?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a result of this thread I am switching to primary donate.

Right now the primary regulator hose comes off the anterior right side port of the first stage and the alternate comes off the posterior right side port. Does this configuration stay the same with the new setup?
Run the primary, longer hose, off the posterior and the secondary, short hose, off the anterior. The video you linked is correct (including use of the 7' hose with single back mount). I've never found any difference between looping excess 7' hose under the canister, or tucked in the belt. Both are completely secure and you get all the advantages of adjusting the length precisely (mentioned in post #10). I suppose tall people (e.g. >6'5", I'm only 5'11") might have the tucked portion slip out, but I haven't seen that happen.

If you're going cavern anyway recommend you just switch to the 7' hose now instead if fiddle farting around with a 36" or 40" hose (plus the angle if you're routing under the arm). That's just wasting money on stuff you won't use once you figure out the 7' works really well in all set-ups.

I didn’t read every post in detail but isn’t an Air2 a form of primary donate?
They use those in OW classes all the time and on rental gear.
But here’s the catch.
What length primary should you be using then if you have an Air2? Obviously at least a 40”. But a 40” over the shoulder is unwieldy and too much hose unless you run it under the right arm and in most cases use a swivel. But how many new divers do this and how many shops or operators will set up rental fleets or set gear up this way?
Most I’ve seen using an Air2 end up using a standard 32” (or shorter) over the shoulder without much thought as to how it would go if they actually had to donate that primary and get on their Air2.
A 32” is not enough to be a donation length.
I see normal hose lengths with air 2 regulators, including mine. I have shared air quite a few times and have made the short primary hose work.

However, I think I agree that a longer hose, run under the arm is probably better. I run my pony reg under my arm and up to my neck where it is secured with a necklace. Not sure if running two hoses under the arm would be a problem, don't think I ever tried it.

I assume that shops that teach the air 2 set up, require that their student's practice air sharing, so it must be doable.

You cannot remove the second stage from my necklace unless you either break zip ties or break the necklace itself. It is for my use, not someone else's.
With this configuration, do you have any concerns about filling an smb? It sounds like it would be difficult to fill an open bottom or duck bill bottom smb or lift bag. Have you ever tried it?

I have never seen a regulator on a necklace with the donor expecting the OOA diver to take the one on the necklace. I guess it could happen, but I don't see the point.

Never say never, my ccr configuration is this way. The deep if doing deco or only bailout if no deco is on a necklace, a AAO buddy gets it or if I need to bailout I get it.

1. If you have it loosely placed in the necklace, it has the same primary fault as in the triangle--it can fall out on its own and not be available when needed.
  2. It is hard to get to under the chin when you are in a normal diving position. You have to reach past the primary to get to it, unless you have a ridiculously long necklace.
  3. If you are in tight quarters, like a wreck or a cave, you will not be able to get to it easily, reaching between the chin and the floor.
  4. It is much slower than primary donate. It takes only about a second for primary donate to extend the regulator to the OOA diver.
  5. I don't advocate having the OOA diver take it from the triangle, either. I want the diver to take the primary from my hand.

I call BS on all this.

I didn’t read every post in detail but isn’t an Air2 a form of primary donate?
They use those in OW classes all the time and on rental gear.
But here’s the catch.
What length primary should you be using then if you have an Air2? Obviously at least a 40”. But a 40” over the shoulder is unwieldy and too much hose unless you run it under the right arm and in most cases use a swivel. But how many new divers do this and how many shops or operators will set up rental fleets or set gear up this way?
Most I’ve seen using an Air2 end up using a standard 32” (or shorter) over the shoulder without much thought as to how it would go if they actually had to donate that primary and get on their Air2.
A 32” is not enough to be a donation length.
When I learned to dive, back in the dark ages, the pool rig was an Air 1 with a normal hose and an Air 2 as the inflator. We were taught to donate the primary while grabbing the buddy's BC strap for the ascent. The buddy was also supposed to grab the donor's BC strap for the ascent. The funny part was the rental rig used on my checkout dives used a conventional octopus.

With this configuration, do you have any concerns about filling an smb? It sounds like it would be difficult to fill an open bottom or duck bill bottom smb or lift bag. Have you ever tried it?
You put the alternate on the necklace in your mouth and use the primary to inflate.

You put the alternate on the necklace in your mouth and use the primary to inflate.
That’s one way to do it but there’s other options to send up an SMB. Exhaust bubbles, LP inflator hose, crack bottle, etc. Which one is best for what situation is a separate discussion.

Back
Top Bottom