What Is The Meaning Of This?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is a school teacher and got into a conversation with another teacher regarding the actions of a student. The jury is out as to what this sudent did or more so what it meant, so...

I am asking you all to tell me wht you think it means.

Take your hand with knuckles curled (fingers facing towards you) facing out. and flick your four fingers across your chin away from you towards the person it is directed at. I have my idea what that means, but I cannot find much with a internet search. Just curious what the general public thinks it means. Plus to settle the issue between coworkers. so let me know what you think it might mean.

yes, my daughter is confirming . She has told me not to go around asking questions about gestures, she says just to ask her.

....what he said.

Any kid who uses this gesture and knows what it means may be connected. I'm Italian/Sicilian and if I were the school I'd be very careful as to how you discipline him. It may not even mean to him what it means to us who were brought up around some of the old school. He may have seen it in a movie. Either way in the US it is not an obscene gesture so much as a gesture of contempt, lack of respect, or disregard for authority. And even if, like Catherine's daughter, he knows what it means you think he's gonna admit it. Just give him a couple of whack's upside the head and fugedaboutit. Or if it's parochial school just slap him upside the head with a bible like the nuns used to do.

JimLap:
Any kid who uses this gesture and knows what it means may be connected. I'm Italian/Sicilian and if I were the school I'd be very careful as to how you discipline him.

That's probably a little extreme there Jim. Me, and all my high-school buddies used that sign as a "go get lost" (but harsher) sign all the time. Most notably with/by a couple of near-deaf kids.

I don't know the origins of it, but if it does come from "connected" people, it has been common enough knowledge over the past 2 decades to sever any close ties.

in my neck of the woods that means the same as giving someone the bird.......the finger salute....wink wink wink

Alfalfa used to do this in the Little Rascals every now and then. Tell the school to take a pill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom