What is the hardest thing about scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XTAR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Scuba diving is an exciting but adventurous sport. You can admire the beauty of the fascinating underwater world. While, there are also many hard things during the adventurous scuba diving. For example, some divers think flooding into mask with freezing cold water is terrible. Many people vote on taking off the wet, tight wetsuit after diving. Someone said the hardest thing he ever did in scuba diving was stop diving.

Have you experienced the same things above? What’s your hardest thing about scuba diving?

The investment, particularly in money but also time, in a hobby that in many cases the rest of the family doesn't share, to do the kind of diving that many of us are after (e.g.: coral reef and maybe 'big animal' oceanic diving, particularly in warm seas).

For me, a solo trip to the Caribbean aiming for 20-something dives is around $3,500 - 4,000 in terms of total trip cost. That same amount of money would pay over half of a cruise vacation for my wife and I with our daughter.

There's also the backdrop of economic realities; I read articles on personal finance pitched that idea that if people with a Starbucks habit or similar would just stick to cheap coffee from home and invest the cost of those lattes, etc..., they could save and make yadda-yadda. I'm not a coffee drinker, but the principles the same with some other things.

If one or two exotic vacations per year is your 'thing,' that's a serious outlay of money. If your spouse doesn't dive, that may mean running off to the tropics and leaving the spouse back home sometimes. Kids under 10 are pretty much shut out of it.

This isn't all unique to scuba. Hunter/fisher types with off-road SUV, ATV, bass boat and gun collection, people who enjoy European vacations from America, they, too, pay serious money.

You California resident shore divers are cheating!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom