What is the future of Scuba Diving and the technology we use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which means a, for me, welcome return to the pioneering days of the 1950s, when diving was all about the simple enjoyment of local waters. I love snorkelling in the North Sea, seven miles from my home in the North East of England. I wouldn't go back now to those cattle-boats in the sky which make me wait hours at the check-in desk, regulate the weight and dimensions of my equipment, subject me to humiliating searches, feed me puppy-chow when I eventually get on board and then dump me in some anonymous exotic resort with plenty of diving to exercise my body but with little or no culture or civilisation to exercise my mind as well. It's an ill wind...
Wow, I feel so much nostalgia I begin to wonder why you turned away from North sea snorkeling in the 1st place? ;-)

Meanwile, things just get dumber and dumber for us, air travellers: TSA: Man who caused breach at NJ airport soon left | Top AP Stories | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Wow, and I thought I was pessimistic. Yours is like a George Orwell vision of scuba diving.

I'm more optimistic than that, because for one thing the ocean is huge and mostly unharnessed. Also there is a natural selection away from cattle boats and bad dive boats. The boat that give a good experience still wins.

The big factors in scuba technology is: 1. it continues to be a niche sport and 2. and new advance tends to skyrocket in price

Adam
Playing George Orwell gives me an advantage of being happy when I'm wrong in predictions.

Wow, I feel so much nostalgia I begin to wonder why you turned away from North sea snorkeling in the 1st place? ;-)

I never turned away completely from North Sea snorkelling in the first place. I've snorkelled in the Mediterranean on my travels through Europe in the 1970s and in the Pacific during my summer forays to America in subsequent decades. Reaching the age of sixty in the new millennium opened my eyes to the fact that the best, cheapest and fuss-free snorkelling was in my own backyard and that I could indulge my passion for the activity whenever I wanted rather than enduring the constraints of modern airline travel first.

It's yours my brother! But it is a Scubapro Classic Plus BC and you know the issues you have had with that. But the rest of it is all good. Enjoy! :D

Good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't a diver catch a break once in a while!!!!!!!!!!:shocked2:

I hope that someone will invent a thermal lotion to be sprayied all over my body to keep me warm.Getting in and out of those wet/dry suits is a pain in the ass.

P.S if anyone out there is working on it please be quick,I'm already 52:wink:

KY makes that Heat on Contact Jelly now. Buy it by the bucket and go for it! Could make the transition to post-dive activities much smoother as well! :eyebrow:

Smaller lighter and greater capacity air tanks? 6000 Psi carbon fiber tanks the size of a gallon milk jug would really enhance entry and exit safety.

Just my wacked out brain having a storm.

I'd like to see an easier to use underwater camera that the typical layman like myself can use and take quality pictures and be cost effective like the digital point and shoots I use on the surface. Why can't they make a dslr body smaller, yet contained in a completely waterproof housing that's the size of what a normal body on the surface would be like? I guess I'm just not very good with UW cameras and would like the manufacturers to fix it for me at a low cost. I can't be the only one out there who dives and sucks at taking UW pics! :D

Like this one? Taken with an Olympus Stylus 600 (2005 model) that I bought off ebay for $180 including the housing, 2 spare batteries, and a 2GB memory card. You can take good pictures with current (even 5 year old) equipment if you understand how to use the advanced settings and how to get to the shot.

Attachments

• AA Blue Tang Invisibles.JPG
    AA Blue Tang Invisibles.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 79
Which means a, for me, welcome return to the pioneering days of the 1950s, when diving was all about the simple enjoyment of local waters. I love snorkelling in the North Sea, seven miles from my home in the North East of England. I wouldn't go back now to those cattle-boats in the sky which make me wait hours at the check-in desk, regulate the weight and dimensions of my equipment, subject me to humiliating searches, feed me puppy-chow when I eventually get on board and then dump me in some anonymous exotic resort with plenty of diving to exercise my body but with little or no culture or civilisation to exercise my mind as well. It's an ill wind...

LOL, dude, you just need to move to a cave in Alaska. Cuz there is not really any way for someone with your outlook on life to find happiness anywhere. Wow!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom